When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Andrew's (trustytime) new vintage Daytona - opinions?

catboy

As above really.. always fancied a 6263 or similar daytona, but never quite saved enough for one of spins fabulous creations. received an email from trustytime this weekend with details of their new 6263 rep which now has correct asymetric pushers, 1:1 case, interchangeable with gen components, etc., etc..

Do any of the resident experts have any views or info on these pieces vs. gen? i prefer the second and third (white/black, or black respectively) versions at the following link..

trusty time 6263 daytonas

look forward to your insights!

There was a discussion on Josh's new 6263s in this thread.

As for the 6238s: Josh really doesn't do himself any favors with his terrible photos! The silver dial looks like a greenish-tinged white. If it's anything like the earlier version, it should be a rather nice silver sunburst and one of the better 6238 dials available anywhere (including Phong). It's curious, though, that the dial is indistinguishable from the earlier 7750 version. The subdials are still too big, and pushed all the way out to the minute track. However, the biggest negatives for me are the fat subdial hands, which look utterly out-of-place with the rest of the watch. Also, I would try to change the bezel, and swap in a lower crystal. If it really is gen-sized, that should be an easy task.

Beyond that, the case is a bit pointier and more square-shouldered than a 6238 should be, but that's obviously because it's carried over from the 6263s. Ditto for the big counterbores* around the pushers. Despite all that, I think the silver chronograph is pretty nice, and undoubtedly looks better in the metal than in Josh's listing. Check out this old 7750 6238 that was modded by pbdad last year.

*I didn't know what a counterbore was until I learned it from jmb last week!

• 2 weeks later...

As for the 6238s: Josh really doesn't do himself any favors with his terrible photos! The silver dial looks like a greenish-tinged white.

so is this a silver dial one?

i was searchin for a seagull engined 6238 with silver dial but i just couldn't found it...

if not i am about to pull the trigger on the blue tachi one...

Thanks! I'll probably enquire josh about it....

a question about josh' st-19, the site says that the needle @ 6 (chrono hour hand) is fixed permanently but a watchmaker, that has seen this movement many times, told me that is not fixed but is it in synchrony with the main hour hand and it runs.

i hope it isn't so.

There was a black 6238 dial on eBay a few months ago that was practically NOS. $30,000 dial for a $268 rep?

Rehaut looks OK to me in those pictures, and in the shots I've seen in buyer reviews. (ugoderosa wrote about his 6263 PN on RG.) I would try to source skinnier subdial hands, though.

yep i searched subdial hands too but i found nothing... maybe there is something from dw but i don't know if they are good for a seagull... i asked a watchmaker too but it doesn't even know how to source them... :|

btw is there any source dealing the silver dial with the manual 7750 slim case?

does spinmaster do? or yuki? i didn't remember...