When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Pam 111h From Davidsen

dosanim

Eversince I got to know Panerai, I wasn't into it at all, initially. Somehow, I was bitten by PAM bug and bought 063 GMT( which I'm trying to change hands set and relume). I've been reading threads about PAM111h and many were waitiing for Davidsen's ultimo 111h. I'm stilll new to PAM but according to spec, he took care of canon pinion issue, crown guard, sapphire w/ AR. He confirmed that it is indeed swiss movement w/ mod. Not a chinese copy. SInce, I have GMT, I want to get simple and classic PAM, which to me , it is 111h. I would like to get PAM experts' opinion about plunging on this one. Thanks in advance.

Eversince I got to know Panerai, I wasn't into it at all, initially. Somehow, I was bitten by PAM bug and bought 063 GMT( which I'm trying to change hands set and relume). I've been reading threads about PAM111h and many were waitiing for Davidsen's ultimo 111h. I'm stilll new to PAM but according to spec, he took care of canon pinion issue, crown guard, sapphire w/ AR. He confirmed that it is indeed swiss movement w/ mod. Not a chinese copy. SInce, I have GMT, I want to get simple and classic PAM, which to me , it is 111h. I would like to get PAM experts' opinion about plunging on this one. Thanks in advance.

It looks like a great watch and Davidsen is a pleasure to deal with from experience.

Suffers from the age old font problems which still give it away on inspection though.

The search is far from over...at least for me.

Nice effort from David, the new 111H is something he's been talking about for a few weeks now, and it's finally here.

So, how does it compare with the "standard" reps from other dealers ?

Judge for yourselves:

- dial and hands with superlume

- fixed recessed pin

- A/R sapphire

- Swiss ETA 6497 with CDG bridges and swan neck reg

- nice strap...

However...

- dial text still comes with incorrect letter font and thickness, but that seems to be David's trademark, anyway

- caseback is slightly off, and the engraved text is not even close to gen's

- the case is a standard Davidsen's edition with specific dimensions, so the dial and CG most likely won't interchange with 'standard' rep's.

All in all - nice one, but I'm ready to wait a bit longer for the cosmetically more correct version (if that one ever comes up) :D

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola

Guess i´ll wait for the next gen of his 111....

Just don´t get it... should´nt be that hard to print a new dial with the correct font.

Talking about the case, i personally think that davidsens cases are one of the best around. Guess it´s due to his lack in photographing skills ;-)

Edited by mr1973

cosmetically more correct version buy a gen :p

God, I hope not.

One thing is for certain, though: If the crown guard fits the "1:1" cases currently offered by other dealers, it will be possible to have one sweet rep.

Dial, case, crystal from "1:1 case" rep.

CG, hands, movement from Davidsen

Palp crown

High end aftermarket strap

After you sell the leftover parts, $500 bucks gets you an A's crossbar away from an on-the-wrist perfect copy of a $5,000 watch.

Something I really can't get past anymore is the CG lever pin. It is almost never flush to the CG. On this watch, it is even worse than usual.

I have many clients wearing genuine Pams and the one thing that instantly seperates mine from theirs' is this one small but hugely and instantly noticable difference. Oddly enough, My old Abay 118 is absolutely perfect, though the lever is really loose.

Something I really can't get past anymore is the CG lever pin. It is almost never flush to the CG. On this watch, it is even worse than usual.

I have many clients wearing genuine Pams and the one thing that instantly seperates mine from theirs' is this one small but hugely and instantly noticable difference. Oddly enough, My old Abay 118 is absolutely perfect, though the lever is really loose.

well, here's one from tz for 11,900.00. how about that pin? does it look flat?

my davidsen 195 looked exactly like this out of the box. trust me man, they are not all flat.

if you are intrested, this one is still for sale in the sales cornner. lol :lol:

131916-18956.jpg

However...

- dial text still comes with incorrect letter font and thickness, but that seems to be David's trademark, anyway

- caseback is slightly off, and the engraved text is not even close to gen's

- the case is a standard Davidsen's edition with specific dimensions, so the dial and CG most likely won't interchange with 'standard' rep's.

All in all - nice one, but I'm ready to wait a bit longer for the cosmetically more correct version (if that one ever comes up) :D

cheers,

babola

Anybody notice the mispelling of "Officine" on the case back?

132013-18952.jpg

I hear you, but the difference isn't really the "flushness." I have an oem guard on my 051 and have seen and held many gen PAMs. Actually PAM pins are usually ever so slightly recesed. There is a major fit and finish difference between Panerai pins and rep pins--OEM pin holes are perfectly finished (reps usually have unevenly rounded edges), and the pin itself, flush or not, fits in the hole absolutely perfectly with no gaps, dents, rough ends, etc.

That being said, if your goal is to have your rep pass in-hand inspection by a collector you've got a long and frustrating collecting life ahead of you, and the pin is the least of your worries--Even if the dimensions of all the parts were perfect, general fit and finish would an instant tell, followed by the brushing if any, the dial print, and the AR shade....then of course, there's the movement decoration....

is this genuine SWISS MADE unitas movement?

i think not. Cotes de geneve looks like asian??? But winding screws looks like swiss????

EL has called his new 111 also as SWISS MADE unitas... and it is ASIAN UNITAS with modified swan´s neck :bangin:

i like this movement... but i will not pay swiss made price for asian made product.

Edited by tourbillon1801

i think not. Cotes de geneve looks like asian??? But winding screws looks like swiss????

EL has called his new 111 also as SWISS MADE unitas... and it is ASIAN UNITAS with modified swan´s neck :bangin:

i like this movement... but i will not pay swiss made price for asian made product.

So if this isn't the holy grail, what's the closest 111h?

not exist closed P111

sorry friends, but i can´t pay 330$ for asia unitas movement, case with wrong engraving and dial with to small marked panerai luminor marina.

so i will used my old asian unitas pam 111 any longer... it is not closest 111 but has cost 150$

cheers :3a:

build this watch with swiss unitas, correct dial printing, correct case back and i will pay more than 330$ NO PROBLEM

Edited by tourbillon1801

this one is the closest you can buy with out modding it. lol, they are just picking at it. go to the gen webb site and look at the 111h. this one is closer than anything you can buy. even the dial font is not easy to see until you have them side buy side and you will have to stare at it then.

i can assure you nobody's going to call you out unless you take it off and hand it to them and 99% of the people out there won't be able to do it then, especialy the people that are wearing gens. they know far less about them than we do. lol

unless you want to invest 500.00 including modding one of these just buy this one. if somebody out their can get one better than this one for the same money, tell us so we can buy it.

not exist closed P111

sorry friends, but i can´t pay 330$ for asia unitas movement, case with wrong engraving and dial with to small marked panerai luminor marina.

so i will used my old asian unitas pam 111 any longer... it is not closest 111 but has cost 150$

cheers :3a:

build this watch with swiss unitas, correct dial printing, correct case back and i will pay more than 330$ NO PROBLEM

Exactly my thoughts. If these flaws would be fixed, I'd go for it.

Davidsen's 111H ETA is Swiss, not Asian, sorry.

As always the case with 'modern' Swiss ETAs we see in PAM reps, the base movement is Swiss, CDG bridges, S/N and other decorative bits are Asian, made by rep mov't manufacturers. It is impossible to get a Swiss ETA 6497 to be cosmetically identical to the gen movement since these are made ONLY by Panerai, and are not available for public sale.

Both the Officine Panerai and Asian mov't people mod the basic ETA 6497, the difference being in quality of finish and function e.g. not all of the rep mov't "working" swan-neck add-ons are actually working ones.

Eddie Lee is one of the very few dealers who is straight abouth the new Swiss 6497 and Asian 6497 movements in the reps he sells.

He has both Swiss and Asian on offer, they look very similar and hard to distinguish by a naked eye, but he will be the first to point out that the other one is actually Asian. The $$ diference is roughly $100, between both.

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola

Davidsen's 111H ETA is Swiss, not Asian, sorry.

As always the case with 'modern' Swiss ETAs we see in PAM reps, the base movement is Swiss, CDG bridges, S/N and other decorative bits are Asian, made by rep mov't manufacturers. It is impossible to get a Swiss ETA 6497 to be cosmetically identical to the gen movement since these are made ONLY by Panerai, and are not available for public sale.

Both the Officine Panerai and Asian mov't people mod the basic ETA 6497, the difference being in quality of finish and function e.g. not all of the rep mov't "working" swan-neck add-ons are actually working ones.

Eddie Lee is one of the very few dealers who is straight abouth the new Swiss 6497 and Asian 6497 movements in the reps he sells.

He has both Swiss and Asian on offer, they look very similar and hard to distinguish by a naked eye, but he will be the first to point out that the other one is actually Asian. The $$ diference is roughly $100, between both.

cheers,

babola

good point :g:

I PMed Davidsen regarding movement. He's answer was that it is indeed Swiss movement with modification. I guess cosmetic part would be the modification as base movement is Swiss movement.

May be Davidsen can correct misspelling of the engraving and produce new dial with correct font? :whistling: