When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anybody want to recommend a dress watch?

Physher007

I have been wearing large watches for a while now and I am really looking for something smaller to wear for dressier occasions. Any recommendations for something fairly accurate? Maybe in gold?

Thankss

Here you go:

IMAG0204-1.jpg

Gen case, dial, crown/tube Gen ETA movement.

Gold shell over SS.

34mm perfect for Suits/Tux

The dial is amazing, very nicely executed. Glossy with concentric circle patterns on part of the dial. The overall feel of the watch is terrific. The lovely Venus movement is finished with Cote De Geneve and blued screws etc. Very well appointed. To me, it's an overlooked rep. There was little to no fanfare made about it and other 5070 type chronos when these models came out. I've had this since the TRC days but I've noticed that it was still available a while back.

@wiesn: do you own a version of that watch? because I would love to see some wrist shots

Unfortunately I don't, but there's a very favorable review of the new metal bracelet version 5711-1A PP "Nautilus" floating around here somewhere. If you want the grey dial you will be stuck with the leather strap because PP only supplied the white gold versions this way. If you are drawn to the blue dial your only option is the bracelet because that's the only way gens are available from Patek.

I like the grey version better, keep in mind though that the gen is white gold while the blue version is SS. You will hardly encounter anyone who has seen let alone handled one in the flesh so that should not be too much of a deal.

Consider what you have already that would look good on leather instead of bracelet. A little leather will class any joint up, and adds versatility to something you already have.

If some new blood is needed, how about a Carrera, a Railmaster, or maybe a milgauss or day/date?

TagHeuerCarreraNacre.jpg

watch_tag-heuer_carrera_WV211B.BA0787.jpg

railmaster10b4mt.jpg

Personally, I think my Carrera day/date looks very well dressed in black leather deployant

CL4.jpg

Edited by P4GTR

I have been eyeballing the Santos for sometime - in fact I think I am going to head to my local Cartier AD today to check it out - thanks for the rec

@PFGTR - Since I can't sell my HBB :black_eye: I am thinking of putting a gummy on it to see if that does the trick for me. I know this may be counter-intuitive, but after working with TAG's I have become disenchanted with them. Perhaps its like working at a brothel, but they just don't do it for me anymore. The straight carrera is really sharp though.

TAG adding the Day-Date carerra was one of there best additions a really beautiful piece...... unlike the Calibre 36 :whistling:

(BTW I have some TAG advert in the GD section I am auctioning for the forum, there is a poster of your Carerra available :rolleyes: )

I have never considered the railmaster though, another good call. Thanks!

I have been eyeballing the Santos for sometime - in fact I think I am going to head to my local Cartier AD today to check it out - thanks for the rec

@PFGTR - Since I can't sell my HBB :black_eye: I am thinking of putting a gummy on it to see if that does the trick for me. I know this may be counter-intuitive, but after working with TAG's I have become disenchanted with them. Perhaps its like working at a brothel, but they just don't do it for me anymore. The straight carrera is really sharp though.

TAG adding the Day-Date carerra was one of there best additions a really beautiful piece...... unlike the Calibre 36 :whistling:

(BTW I have some TAG advert in the GD section I am auctioning for the forum, there is a poster of your Carerra available :rolleyes: )

I have never considered the railmaster though, another good call. Thanks!

No problem, I hope whatever you decide on brings you some enjoyment.

I can understand your stance on TAG. I sold my gen and with a portion, purchased the 42mm DD, which I agree- they knocked it out of the park with that design. Then they struck out and fell on their face with the Calibre 36.