When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finally: 5th Gen Superfranken PO

OSRep

Hey guys,

Ever since I started learning about reps and spending more time on the forums I have always wanted to "build" a franken PO (I'd say it was one of my grails).........

So recently things sort of fell into place and I picked up a 5th gen 42mm PO (with a gen dial, hands and clasp) from a great member. I then started the fun part (gen parts gathering)......

42 mm gen PO Parts

Gen: Dial, Hands, Crystal, Crown, Bezel, Bezel Spring, HE screw / valve, ETA DW and Clasp

Once everything was gathered, off everything went to a modder in Germany (who put the watch together in less than 2 days) :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The gen crystal makes a world of difference!

Here are some quick shots of the result, an absolute beauty (IMO).......I love it!! :good:

10.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

7.jpg

Looks great, just one question , in the last picture the HE Valve looks unscrewed, does your gen HE Valve screw shut ? My HE Valve mod had to be sealed closed, but at least that makes it water proof.

Also my clasp / mushroom broke off my strap , do you think its is a worthwile purchase for a gen clasp ? The end link gap bugs me on my strap the most though !!!

Wear your PO with pride, very very nice.

Hey thanks everyone! Im really loving this watch, plenty of compliments too. In terms of pricing, we are looking at a little over $1000 (parts / watch / installation etc). Yes, I have seen plenty of pre-owned 45mm PO's go for a little more (1600 - 2000 USD), but never a 42mm....(which are more popular. I have owned a gen 45mm PO as well, its just not the same as the 42mm ;)

Looks great, just one question , in the last picture the HE Valve looks unscrewed, does your gen HE Valve screw shut ? My HE Valve mod had to be sealed closed, but at least that makes it water proof.

Also my clasp / mushroom broke off my strap , do you think its is a worthwile purchase for a gen clasp ? The end link gap bugs me on my strap the most though !!!

Wear your PO with pride, very very nice.

Hi Zorg, hows it going buddy? I know you have a franken too? Was going to ask you about your He valve as well, thanks for bringing it up totally forgot. Yes the valve screws all the way, BUT, It seems that the "crown" is a bit bigger in diameter than the rep and it catches the side of the case. But its tight and fully closed. How is yours fitted?

Truly impressive :thumbsupsmileyanim:

(but what is the huge difference in the crystals? :g: )

Hello my friend! :D Well the crystal I had on the rep was a Taka AR coated one, and although very good, the dial just didnt pop as much as it does with the gen one. The gen crystal is mostly invisible ;) The AR is alot nicer too.......

Congrats OSRep! Glad you got yours finished up! Great Watch! I really like your orange dial! Add's an additional pop! Mine says hello!

Thanks buddy, yours was inspiration for mine ;)

Hey DSlayer, the 45mm is a nice watch in all respects, but the PO looks perfect in 42mm! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Youll love it :D

I know what you mean! I've never handled the 42, but I think it will be the right fit for my wrist :)

What do you think of the orange numbers? If I was to get the 42mm, I was thinking of getting the white number version, it looks more traditional (not sure if that's a good thing :lol:) Then again I do like the orange numerals on my UPO, not sure... hmmm :g:

Hey DS!

Wellllllll, I LOVE the orange numbers, I find the white number dial too plain. I dont know, I just find it a bit more sporty (against the black of the dial)........but if your UPO is orange numbers then get a white dial version (unless you get rid of your UPO in which case get an orange 42mm) :D:thumbsupsmileyanim:

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Great post and a fantastic PO mod, congratulations. OSRep, can you please send me a PM with the name of the person in Germany who did the work for you? I am literally on the edge of doing the same as you did, had mine 42mm 5th gen PO for a while, it came with the original clasp already, so one thing less to worry about.

One question, just looked on the CousinsUK site but wasn't able to see your dial with orange numbers. Where did you get it from and what's the part number?

Wear your PO beauty with pride my friend.

Take care,

Vasa

Hey Vasa!

Thanks man :) Good choice in project too........the 42mm PO is just awesome to work on! I sent you a PM after reading your thread about your PO ;) I bought the PO already fitted with the gen orange/white dial! Theres a part list in the PO thread I started I think......part number must be there.......ill take a look.

Otherwise enjoy the prject, itll be worth it :D

OS

CONGRATS TO THE FRANKEN 42mm PO's. !! Those look GREAT !! I've got the 42mm 5th gen (from Lay) and want to go Franken with it. My clasp spring broke, so a gen from ofrei fixed that. The gap between the SEL's and first bracelet link bothered me too..gens from ofrei solved that too. My crown/tube threads stripped out. I pull the crown and stem out and gently squeezed the tube into a slightly "oval-egg-shape" and this allowed for some "meat" to screw the crown back in to lock....holding for right at 2 mos. now. Packed silicone gease into the crown seal and locked it down...showers and sinks...no problems yet but I'm needing to go gen with the crown/tube...and everything else except the mvt.and case.

"db2"...I've sent you a PM sir. :victory: CONGRATS again on the Frankens, guys. AWESOME. AND....about 1500.00 less than a good preowned 2201.50....NICE !!! :victory:

On the 5th generation 42mm PO, can the gen bezel be installed without changing the rep crystal to a gen crystal ??

I'm considering a Franken build and while it's been my experience that gen crystals are well worth the money for the upgrade ( Rolex) I'm questioning the gen PO crystal because I've resorted to removing the outer AR coating on the rep. I wear it daily and will wear the Franken daily and am concerned that even with the gen crystal I will end up bumping and knicking the crystals outer AR. Will the gen crystal still make 200.00+ improvement i I end up removing the outer AR coating and can the gen bezel assembly still be installed without additional mods needed i I keep the rep crystal.

Edited by correctime