When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6263 Dials

Olivax

Not sure gen 6263 dial & 'good price' are compatible, unless your definition of 'good' = high.

DW's dials vary, depending on what he receives from the factories. His best are about the best aftermarkets I have seen. You might also check out imgod's dials on ebay (he only posts when he has dials for sale). If you want to go the distance, consider replacing the crown on whichever aftermarket dial you use with a gen part, which you will need to source from ebay or any of the gen watch forums.

• 4 weeks later...

I can quote RA on this one:

Check out his post.

Great stuff

6263 on RWG1.1

There are plenty of non-fake gen dials around. Depending on the dial versions your are looking at a minimum of $1500 for an acceptable one, a lot more for the rarer ones.

You will need to be careful and know the various different versions though, Mazzariol's book "Rolex Daytona a Legend is Born" is a good starting point. Generally speaking the aftermarket dials are easily identifiable by their printing. Especially the minute markers and the subdial fonts aren't as crisp and fine as on gen dials. From hands distance this isn't noticeable really, but once you are nearer then it becomes pretty obvious.

The difference a gen dial makes is incredible, though in my opinion it isn't worth it if you don't invest in a lot of other gen parts.

There are plenty of non-fake gen dials around. Depending on the dial versions your are looking at a minimum of $1500 for an acceptable one, a lot more for the rarer ones.

Like a Sigma, maybe? :whistling:

If you're willing to spend USD 3000 right now, it isn't hard to find a genuine 6263 dial (or even a 6239) in good shape. The tricky part is spending less than that. It's often shocking what people will bid for a dial that looks like it was fished out of a septic tank!

As wiesn089 says, the print quality of most gen dials is very fine and detailed. I say "most" because there are some black Daytona dials -6239s, mostly- that have indistinct, milky print. (This is not uncommon for certain matte dials from the 60s and 70s.) Another tell is the Singer coronet, which has never been replicated properly. It's always possible that someone transplanted a coronet from a cheaper gen dial, so don't use the coronet as a litmus test. The subdials are another tell, as I don't think any aftermarket dial has gotten both the profile and the texture right.

Like a Sigma, maybe? :whistling:

If you're willing to spend USD 3000 right now, it isn't hard to find a genuine 6263 dial (or even a 6239) in good shape. The tricky part is spending less than that. It's often shocking what people will bid for a dial that looks like it was fished out of a septic tank!

As wiesn089 says, the print quality of most gen dials is very fine and detailed. I say "most" because there are some black Daytona dials -6239s, mostly- that have indistinct, milky print. (This is not uncommon for certain matte dials from the 60s and 70s.) Another tell is the Singer coronet, which has never been replicated properly. It's always possible that someone transplanted a coronet from a cheaper gen dial, so don't use the coronet as a litmus test. The subdials are another tell, as I don't think any aftermarket dial has gotten both the profile and the texture right.

USD3000? Seriously, let me know where U can get a black 6263 for 3k, I'm looking for one of those and haven't find below 4k :(

USD3000? Seriously, let me know where U can get a black 6263 for 3k, I'm looking for one of those and haven't find below 4k :(

This was from a few months ago, on VRF. Not sure if the seller still has it:

Fs: stock rolex batch 6263 / 6265 dial, NEW ! NEVER NEVER USED.

Asking price 2000 euros (it has 1/3 reduction from last price)shipped.

Can also supply NEW SET OF HANDS for extra 300 euros.

Refund policy, happy to refund if not genuine and not as described.

• 2 months later...

Haha, yeah something like that... wink.gifdirol.gif

6265wristie061101det.jpg

If everything goes well, it'll be finished in about two weeks... smile.gif

Love that ! (I already said that... :))

I'm currently building the same... except my dial is not sigma... Hope it will be finished soon :)

Just a question - do you used crystal / crown / tube provided by J&W ?

Love that ! (I already said that... :))

I'm currently building the same... except my dial is not sigma... Hope it will be finished soon :)

Just a question - do you used crystal / crown / tube provided by J&W ?

Thanks :). I didn't, crystal is a gen T21 service replacement as are crown and tube (703). I only used Phong's midcase.

You can find a list of all the parts I used here.

Thanks :). I didn't, crystal is a gen T21 service replacement as are crown and tube (703). I only used Phong's midcase.

You can find a list of all the parts I used here.

I obviously already seen (many times) your post :D

I wanted to know because I'm currently thinking about buying a J&W case kit, and they claims crystal / crown / tube are genuine. What differences have you found why gen part you bought ?

$1500 is absolutely incredible for a kit where you can only use the mid-case... Or are they selling only the mid-case ?

Yes, Phong is selling midcases only, you just need to ask and he will alter his price accordingly (and then there's still some room for negotiations).

I don't think that the parts Phong sells are genuine, why would they be, after all he's making his living from selling aftermarket parts. I wouldn't risk paying his prices for things which might very well turn out not be as advertised.