When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Please school me on the etiquette used to determine values on watches to be traded.

kdspiv

I am asking this question upon the RWG forum as a neutral playground.

I was offered a trade of rep watches for a piece of audio equipment. The fellow has a good track record for trades but is a bit on the pushy side. And so he and myself have come to a point of disagreement.

When establishing the value of the watches to trade, he is bound and determined to value the watches at either their original new price OR the current market price if it is higher than the original price of the watch.

Is this usually the way that the trade values are determined?

I know the values of some watches do indeed rise with time and scarcity. But it seems to me an "either - or" method should be used.

For schitts and giggles, here are four of the possible watches that have been discussed. Please, keep in mind the trade would be a combination of these watches and not All of them. So tell me what YOUR opinion of the values should be.

Possible trade fodder are:

1. origina' "old school" Panerai 188 w/ Swiss 7753 movement - Not modded in anyway (hands are silver, original crown, no AR, Swiss datewheel)

2. MBW 116610 submariner from 2005ish w/ Swiss movement - Again not modded in anyway. No upgrades. This is NOT gen-like construction but nice rehaut.

3. Datejust w/ Swiss movement - All stainless, white Roman numeral dial, oyster bracelet, SMOOTH bezel (one of my all time favorite simple watches), No mods

4. Serious old school Daytona w/ Swiss 7750 and seconds running at NINE o'clock and SIX! no mods.

What value would YOU put on these watches if they are all in great condition?

Unless it's still new and wrapped up in plastic, in my opinion, you are going to take a loss on it. There are some definite exceptions with some of the more rare pieces. EL cased panerai's, WM9 sub's, etc. But for the most part, I would say there is going to be a loss. I always lose money on watches that i sell. I basically consider it a "rental" fee for trying out the watch :D

BTW - if you are talking about a trade for one of those McIntosh Pre-Amps you have, then you definitely do not want to do a deal that gets you less than what they are worth. Never sell vintage McIntosh at a loss. :black_eye:

I would say that just because he wants trade them doesn't mean you want to buy them. I would suggest which if any you would want to own (trade or no trade). establish a price for them and ask for the balance in cash. I say this only because they are very different watches and if I were a betting man you were interested in some but not all of the pieces being offered.

Unless it's still new and wrapped up in plastic, in my opinion, you are going to take a loss on it. There are some definite exceptions with some of the more rare pieces. EL cased panerai's, WM9 sub's, etc. But for the most part, I would say there is going to be a loss. I always lose money on watches that i sell. I basically consider it a "rental" fee for trying out the watch :D

BTW - if you are talking about a trade for one of those McIntosh Pre-Amps you have, then you definitely do not want to do a deal that gets you less than what they are worth. Never sell vintage McIntosh at a loss. :black_eye:

LOL! No. No McIntosh on this deal. Rega Saturn Cd player. But, I think I have found an interesting trade for a non watch item. We arent going to see eye to eye on this particular deal so forcing it would not help.

As stupid as it sounds, I wouldn't hesitate to trade a piece of vintage McIntosh for a watch. But with two stipulations: One, I get the EXACT watch that I WANT! Two, that piece oof gear will be traded to some one who will damnwell appreciate what it is and what it is worth.

Trade value less about 25% would likely be accurate. In a perfect world, we would always get what we think our watches are worth. I usually lose money on deals......but then again, it's a hobby to me :-)

This is pretty much my MO. Unless it is some rare, heavily frankened watch, I usually start at 25% off what I paid for it. Plus, for most CONUS buyers, no customs hassle. Buyer usually is the winner.

Whoops! I meant the seconds were at nine and NOT at six o'clock. Good looking watch but the seconds are still labeled at 6 o'clock and sub dial spacing looks way off.

But the movment would work in a DW vintage Daytona right?