When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW 1680 question

dutchguy2

Hi, i just got a 1680 from Narikaa. He sourced it on MBK. I did not realy care if I got an old or a new MBW. To deal with him was a pleasure as many of you know.

I'm now curious what I have.

It has polex design 1680 on one side and a L342xxx serial on the other.

Is this an old (good) one or the newer one ( if it exist at all)

Although the markings are consistent with an older 1680, I just don't see how it could be. Nothing against Narikaa, but it's been a couple of years since we saw Cats 1680 and realized it wasn't like the early versions. But until you start trying to swap in some gen parts, you won't really know.

Try swapping in a T-127 and see how you do.

Pics might help also.

Well it certainly looks good, looks like an MBW. Typical white pearl in the bezel insert. Date font looks correct (for MBW datewheel).

Like I said before, can you fit a gen crystal, like a top hat crystal?

Typical MBW stuff to do, trim the crown guards, drill the lugholes to the correct size, end pieces on the bracelet look good but I couldn't read the #- should be 580s. A hollow mid link 93150 would also be nice. Don't know if that's the bracelet you got or not, but it has nothing to do with early or later MBWs, just whether you're lucky or not. Quality varies on MBWs just like all other rep watches.

See, as good as the MBW case can be, they send you crap for a bracelet and end pieces!

Even the PT GWSD has a better bracelet and end pieces- 93150/580.

There's been some other discussions about MBWs here- highoey knows as much as anyone about them. You might do some reading. The MBW situation probably isn't going to get any better based on what I read earlier this week

But you've got yours, so let the mods begin!

the fact that it says 1680 between the lugs and not 5513 means its not the older style case. the rear cgs are also different than the usual squared type i get, date mag, caseback and lug thickness also looks different. also the endlinks that come with the mbks were open springbar, yours are closed. dial and crown look typical, insert is slightly different. i believe this is the new one, you must request they build you the old style. get some more bracelet shots, im intrigued by these endlinks. also hope your movement doesnt gum up next week as mbk is notorious for having this problem but it seems to mostly effect no date subs. serial # sounds good, but like alli' said try fitting gen parts, who knows maybe this is a new hybrid (doubtful)