When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

starting AP Franken mod is this correct movement?

Yes it is... LWO 283 Lemania movement... but I cant see the brand of this one...

edit, ok I got it it is a Schwarz etienne like this :)

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220738188512&clk_rvr_id=241037690598

Edited by aanival

As Beano says without the hour wheel and canon pinion that movement is worthless. You can't get those parts separately. I bought a few from the seller years ago and ended up having to buy additional older watches just to get the parts. Keep your eyes out for Concord Ventu, Tag Heuer 2000 Professional Chronograph, etc. In short there are a number of older watches that have the LWO 283 movement in it.

Edge-

Have you ever been able to find complete movements separately? I have always had to buy complete watches for more than $300. All the watches I have ever found that were running properly started at $500 or so depending on brand.

Yes, over the past year a complete movement (brand new) pops up now and then, not often though. Also contacting several watchsmiths would help. But on the second hand watches you're right, never found one for $300, at $350 - $400 I've seen some sold though, old tag's mostly. Patience is the key though...

ok, can someone explain for a non watchsmith what is the Hour wheel and pinion and if this movement is a ETA1892, is not posible to source easyly?

It is 2892 based but the issue is that it has the dd chrono module on top of it so that the canon pinion (or tube coming off of it which sticks up through the dial hole and holds the hands) has to be a very different height than a standard 2892. Tall enough to clear the movement and module height but short enough to properly position the hands. I am simplifying it but you get the picture. And it is not like there are many watches being made with this old school Lemania set-up anymore so no one bothers to stock it.

So mate did those six hands, crown, stem, tube parts come from rep AP ROO sec@12 also available for AP ROO with ETA 2892-A2-DD movement?

Concord with ETA 2892-A2-DD movement almost $1,000 not only $300

DSCN0524.jpg

Tag Heuer 2000 Professional with ETA 2892-A2-DD movement

2391131932_6b684600d9_o.jpg

My first franken was using a Concord Ventu several years ago and I paid close to $800 for it. My subsequent ones were with the Tag above which you can find on the bay all the time in good shape for $500 or so. I have bought individual movements for less than $300 but now the two sellers who always had them seem to all be missing the canon pinion and hour wheels. On the hands you can use the rep hands but it takes a skilled watchsmith to fit the 7750 rep hour and second hand on a 2892 Canon pinion - and have it look good.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont forget the stem.

The stem is a standard 2892-A2 stem.

You will have a hard time to fit the rep hands.

I always make a new hour wheel for the hour hand and a new tube for the minute hand.

The tubes of the chrono hands needs to be broached and shorten.

Good luck mate!

So i did buy this movement from flebay and did manage to get the hour wheel and canon pinion too. hope it will work out for a franken :g:

I hope those parts came from the original seller. Otherwise you are most likely out of luck. A number of folks have gone out and independently bought those parts (from Ofrei, Cousins, etc.) for a 2892 and they don't work. You need those parts made explicitly for an LWO 283 movement (i.e DD chrono module). I still am a believer in buying a complete TAG or Concord watch for $400-500. They come with a better cyclops, date font closer to AP and you know they have the proper canon pinion and hour wheel. Best of luck with the build in any case. Looking forward to seeing the finished project.:thumbsupsmileyanim:

I hope those parts came from the original seller. Otherwise you are most likely out of luck. A number of folks have gone out and independently bought those parts (from Ofrei, Cousins, etc.) for a 2892 and they don't work. You need those parts made explicitly for an LWO 283 movement (i.e DD chrono module). I still am a believer in buying a complete TAG or Concord watch for $400-500. They come with a better cyclops, date font closer to AP and you know they have the proper canon pinion and hour wheel. Best of luck with the build in any case. Looking forward to seeing the finished project.:thumbsupsmileyanim:

I did buy all the parts from the same guy in FL. I will find out soon if they will work. Hope they do