When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Earthquake Today Spiced Up This Morning

omni

So I'm finishing up a camping trip with my 17 year old son this morning and we are lying in our tent at the 6,500 ft. elevation on Mt. Haleakala, Maui in the Hawaiian Islands, just ready to make breakfast. Rumbling through with the trees swaying and falling is a long 6.6 Magnitude quake. We were wondering if we were gonna get squished by a falling tree. So we lay there for a few minutes and look around, bang, 10 minutes later a 5.8 aftershock. It was a fast breakfast and packing up job. We are in an offroad mountain area so it was boulder city rock fall on the road all the way back down the mountain. The power got knocked out all over the islands and just came back on in the afternoon so interesting end to a weekend! Whew. :p

So I'm finishing up a camping trip with my 17 year old son this morning and we are lying in our tent at the 6,500 ft. elevation on Mt. Haleakala, Maui in the Hawaiian Islands, just ready to make breakfast. Rumbling through with the trees swaying and falling is a long 6.6 Magnitude quake. We were wondering if we were gonna get squished by a falling tree. So we lay there for a few minutes and look around, bang, 10 minutes later a 5.8 aftershock. It was a fast breakfast and packing up job. We are in an offroad mountain area so it was boulder city rock fall on the road all the way back down the mountain. The power got knocked out all over the islands and just came back on in the afternoon so interesting end to a weekend! Whew. :p

I'm happy you and your son are safe.

I'm happy you and your son are safe.
Thank you, in a strange way, a weekend going for some quality time with your son, it turned out through adversity to be more quality than was expected and we have better respect for each other.

Quite unsettling. I was in the middle of the Loma Prieta 7.0 in 1989, and it's no fun. Glad you and your son are safe.

Omni my friend,

Good thing you weren't home in your own bed... otherwise the good lady may have asked if the world moved for you as well :D

Glad to know you are both OK.

Must admit, that when I heard it on the news this am, my 1st thought was, "WTF did omni say he was? Hope he's OK", but we know its hard to dispatch a true WIS!!!!

Keep on ticking my friend.

Offshore