When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why freeze 6:00 hour counter on vintage Daytona?

EMM

Hey, question for the experts.

I've seen a lot of vintage Daytonas lately posted with a description that includes "6:00 subdial frozen" as a mod. I get why this is a good idea on the modern A7750 sec@6 Daytona, but why do you do it on the vintage sec@9 models? The 6:00 dial is the hour counter - doesn't seem like it would come up much.

Thanks.

It depends on which st19 movement they are useing, you get differen varients (the ST 19 is the movement in these new daytonas and the old moon watch reps and loads of others, the good news it is a fantastic movement)

12 hour constant running @6

24 hour constant running @6

No counter at 6

power reserve @6

but there is no seagul ST19 with a chrono 12 hour counter @6, which is shame as it would be a bonus!!

What you need to know :

The gen Daytona powered with the v727 or v72 tri compax have a shorter spacing between the 9 and 6 subdials hand axis.

Using these Chinese crapy mechanical movements with a frozen hand at 6 gives the apparence of a real Daytona Cosmograph.

The difference is only 0,6mm with the v7750 series movements between axis, and the advantage is to provide a full tri-compax fonctions.

Only anals can notice the difference. For myself, I prefer a full tri-compax fonctions than a handicaped watch, who, even with the correct sub-dial spacing; is still a fake. Be realist.

Finally, put just 40.000 usd in, and you will have a gen Cosmograph :lol:

Only anals can notice the difference. For myself, I prefer a full tri-compax fonctions than a handicaped watch, who, even with the correct sub-dial spacing; is still a fake. Be realist.

This is true. At a glance and at a distance, it is very difficult to detect the 0.5mm difference in subdial spacing.

Try this test: You have five seconds to say which one is the V72. Go!

i-d7h8P3B-M.jpg