When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Selling Gen's On Ebay

fotoman

so - i was drooling over the zenith i posted about when swdivad posted this link to some for sale

http://www.collectorstime.com/zenith.htm

at 3600 they are very atractivly priced - The one i tried on was selling for 6100 - most on the bay are around 5k

i can't spend 3600 on a watch right now - in fact i don't think i can spend 360 on a watch right now - but i had this idea - what if i buy like 4 or 5 of these and sell them on ebay for 4500+

i could make enough $$ to keep one. - Am i nuts? i have an ebay feedback of 100% with 101 unique ratings and 115 total - so i mean, i'm not a total scammer -

also - i take really good photos (relatively speaking, i'm no ttk) and usually write up good auction descriptions.

Its my experience that he same item can be sold for signifigantly more $$ based upon how you write up the ad.

I have never sold anything worth more than a few hundred dollars on ebay.

ok- so, i'm i nuts? my wife wanted to kill me when i mentioned this - but said she would back me if i am certain i know what i'm doing.

and yes, i can write the check to buy the watches initially.

one other thought was to buy 1 - try to sell it on the bay and see how it goes. I'm almost certain i can sell it for the 3600 i would have paid.

thanks for your thoughts

pho

so - i was drooling over the zenith i posted about when swdivad posted this link to some for sale

http://www.collectorstime.com/zenith.htm

at 3600 they are very atractivly priced - The one i tried on was selling for 6100 - most on the bay are around 5k

i can't spend 3600 on a watch right now - in fact i don't think i can spend 360 on a watch right now - but i had this idea - what if i buy like 4 or 5 of these and sell them on ebay for 4500+

i could make enough $$ to keep one. - Am i nuts? i have an ebay feedback of 100% with 101 unique ratings and 115 total - so i mean, i'm not a total scammer -

also - i take really good photos (relatively speaking, i'm no ttk) and usually write up good auction descriptions.

Its my experience that he same item can be sold for signifigantly more $$ based upon how you write up the ad.

I have never sold anything worth more than a few hundred dollars on ebay.

ok- so, i'm i nuts? my wife wanted to kill me when i mentioned this - but said she would back me if i am certain i know what i'm doing.

and yes, i can write the check to buy the watches initially.

one other thought was to buy 1 - try to sell it on the bay and see how it goes. I'm almost certain i can sell it for the 3600 i would have paid.

thanks for your thoughts

pho

I'd recommend that you try Timezone or Poor Man's Watch Forum first and save the eBay fees.

--Bearcat

I have sold many watches on Ebay over the last 2 years ranging from $1000 upto $10000 for gold Subs etc and the fees are the big issue plus the reserve price fee if it does not sell. You could always start the auction at your lowest take price but sometimes that will scare people away.

Maybe try an auction with a lower cost item and see how it goes. Once you have sold a few watches people will notice this and be more confident in your status.

Good luck :)

I have sold many watches on ebay. Everything from Rado to Rolex to universal geneve. I have found that the no reserve auctions get the best response, but this is only good items that i got a hell of a deal on. I have had trouble selling watches other than Rolex for the price I wanted. For example i had a Cartier chronoflex that had to be listed three times to get the price I wanted. Zenith is not the most popular brand on the bay. Check out the format of other sellers auctions with the same style/brand. If most of them start out with a bid near the asking price than this means it does not get much interest and are relisted regularly. All the relisting fees eat up your profits. However, anytime I list a Rolex no matter how many others are on there at the same time, it always sells at a good price.

I have never used escrow.com but hear they are the most reliable. Fees are about $300 or so.

• 2 weeks later...
What would be the best and safest method to accept payment on such high priced items on Ebay?

Well there is safe and there is convenient. Trouble is finding them both together. I have one seller that I regularly deal with that will accept Paypal, but only as quasi-cash. Read up about it on Paypal. Paypal doesn't advertise that option much because it circumvents the whole charge-back issue. Burnt once and I guess forever cautious.

/Tim