When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to make your 2533 stand out in the crowd

nicewatchdude

This Illinois movement does not use a detent to lock in the stem to the case. It's a 12 size and needed some size

adjustments :D I had figured out a while ago how to get these movements to work for Pilot cases, but thought it

would look amazing in a Radiomir if made to fit, wind, and set successfully. I wanted to give it a try and

shed some possibilities and plus have an amazing build :winkiss:

For this type of conversion I had to make a custom case tube because the stem and sleeve I found (after a lot

of searching for one) to use had a very small sleeve and .9mm threads which would fit a crown that came with

one of my JTSE auto movements, but not the typical 1.2mm 6497 size crown.

Being I don't have a lathe, I managed with a dremel and some Jewelers EZ silver solder to make it.

Old case tube on left, new one on right. Okay new one looks kind of funny :lol: It took me

part of a day to do this and solder/shape the case as well :) I used brass tubes from a jewelry supply house

to start with the basic shape, then refined it on the dremel. Staybright lead free SS solder was used to

lock it into the case, same stuff as used on the lugs.

2011-06-25190807.jpg

Movement in the case along with new reshaped crown.

2011-06-27213957.jpg

Luckily I got Southy to make me a custom painted 2533 before he stopped making dials. I think it works, what do you think :D

2011-06-27213724.jpg

I designed and made the strap and custom for this watch. Special thanks to Blueraddish on HF for threading it!

2011-06-27214141.jpg

another movement shot with beautiful and extremely well made Athaya (HF) case back.

2011-06-27183558.jpg

Vintage ring of fire on the bezel under the plexi serves two purposes. It was made with 30 minute epoxy as a medium,

so it holds in the plexi to the bezel as well.

2011-06-27213356.jpg

More movement shots

2011-06-27214530.jpg

2011-06-27214522.jpg

2011-06-27214206.jpg

2011-06-27214237.jpg

Wristy

2011-06-27135217.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this, cheers :!:

F**k Me mate.... this has to be one of the best threads I have seen in a while....

That was simply fantastic work and great thinking... but with a dremel.... mate thats worthy... :)

I really really like it for so many different reasons.... just the lume alone... let alone the movement... Kudos mate...... Very sweet .... Very Tasty :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim:

I've thought a lot about this. The typical Brevet crown would be historically inaccurate because one

is Swiss and the other American. It would have been nice having the screw down option, but for making this

sleeve system work, I luckily had an unmarked crown that has the right stem tube length for all the parts needed

to combine.

I was wondering about the crown.

Tough totally unsigned exepct from the movemnet, i think a signed crown of some sort would add character and history to the watch.

Eitherhow enjoy!

He had something like this posted a looooong time ago in a Fiddy case set, different movement. He was a bit of inspiration for me to

go through the trouble of figuring all this stuff out. ^_^ It's taken a long time, but I was new to the hobby then.

I named this post deliberately in Homage to that post :D

I don't know if he has any more of these, but The Zigmeister used to advertise these exact vintage PAM case w/vintage USA watch movements installed, in addition to his normal watch servicing business.

Edited by nicewatchdude