When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My First Submariner: MBW 5512 4-Line Gilt

lhooq

I recently stopped by my watchsmith's and stepped into an impromptu get-together for some local collectors. Great turnout of vintage Subs, with more than a few No-Dates in attendance. I wasn't prepared to do the usual angle-for-angle shoot (hence, no separate thread), but I didn't want to miss the opportunity to take a few pictures.

After everyone went their separate ways you just KNOW the other guys were thinking "Hoooooooooooooooly smokes, I could have spent $500 instead of $5,000"

:tu:

After everyone went their separate ways you just KNOW the other guys were thinking "Hoooooooooooooooly smokes, I could have spent $500 instead of $5,000"

You're probably right, but how perverse is it that I walked away thinking, "Oh crap... I bet they noticed the lugholes, the squarish profile of the case, and the hard edge under the bezel. THEY'RE ALL GONNA LAUGH AT ME!!!"

Actually, one of the guys, upon first seeing the MBW, went slack-jawed, then examined it closely in his hand for a good two minutes. Then he offered an exchange: My 5512 for his Triple-Six, plus a check to make up the difference. I eventually let him in on the secret, but it would have been a hoot to have seen him bring it to the RSC for authentication. However, he wasn't offering enough for me to jet to Brazil and live off of my ill-gotten gains. :)

I think I really lost some of my blood, sweat, and tears while doing this project...so hands off everyone! If M...were to to sell it, I would have first dibs! RIght M?? ;)

You and miquel would have the right of first refusal, but it's a moot point: This one's a keeper! I'm holding onto it until the end of my days, or passing it onto any children I might discover.

You and miquel would have the right of first refusal, but it's a moot point: This one's a keeper! I'm holding onto it until the end of my days, or passing it onto any children I might discover.

I can wrap myself up in a blanket and squeeze into a (big) bassinet on your front porch, if that's all it takes??

(I'll shave first)

:Jumpy:

• 5 months later...

I'm carefully biding my time until the original thrill subsides... then I'm gonna make my move. Perhaps a trade offer.

Maybe a trade for a vintage MBW from 15 years ago. 8)

........with a gen Triplock, gen T-39 Superdome, gen insert, and (get this) a movement from an original Paul's Red Sub, ca. 1997, with the silver date wheel.

Of course I'm just pondering out loud... :whistling:

post-32-0-58504200-1330387984.jpg

post-32-0-12345300-1330387994.jpg

• Like 1