When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch Biggotry

Marv1n

There was a discussion about this a few months ago. A free snickers bar to the person who can find it first!

One of mine, iirc. :D

Oh, and I read the post and thought everything in there was already common knowledge here. Sorry. :blink:

Swiss Made: 50% of the value has to be produced in Switzerland.

http://www.fhs.ch/en/swissm.php

One of mine, iirc. :D

Oh, and I read the post and thought everything in there was already common knowledge here. Sorry. :blink:

Swiss Made: 50% of the value has to be produced in Switzerland.

http://www.fhs.ch/en/swissm.php

Sorry for my tone in the original response. Little cranky yesterday. Bad back and some percocet are not a good combination for posting on the internet. I did think the post smelled a little bit like a lecture on info that was well known here. Sorry for reading other motivations into it.

Now THAT is interesting. If it says ROLEX on the dial, does it not artifically gain "value"?

One could argue that the 6263 on Ebay, if truly assembled by Rolex while made from the SAME parts, would be immensely more "valuable" than the watch for sale.

So isn't the cachet of the name what adds value? Taking this to a ridiculous extreme, a name "Swiss" manufacturer could source Timex parts from Asia, slap a name on them, add 500% to their "value" and it would be "Swiss".

:yuk:

See why I like vintage watches?

well, toyoto has manufacturing plants in fremont california, but we still identify the product as a japanese car right? the brand and its promise are built on the reputation of japanese engineering which connotes attention to detail during the manufactring process and high quality control standards. is there any difference between how we view toyota and japanese vs how we view of rolex and swiss?

EDIT: I hear ya... Einstein was perhaps the greatest philosopher of our time.. ok so now I am off subject again.. i think i am a bad influence

Not really. However, if you pay someone to add a pricey cog to the ETA2836, and you pay them a Swiss salary, you have effectively doubled the cost.

true, but cost and price are not necessarily related in a free market. supply and demand dynamics, not costs,.drive market pricing for commodity products that have little differentiation. if market based prices do not cover fully loaded costs, as a producer, you have a problem. you either need to drive down unit costs, are consider another livlihood.

but this is not a commodity market, it is a luxury market and there is distiction between brands even it is only in the perception of potential buyers. no doubt, the rolex brand carries an intrinsic value appeal that translates to a premium price, or their products would not command that price.