When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1675 Coke Bezel / Ghost dial

bones

I know there are some stunning franken and expensive non-franken builds on these forums, but not everyone has the ability or the inclination to spend tons on vintage reps. Taking something like a $70 and spending a few days modding the hell out of it is definitely fun :)

And funny you should say that, the one im working on at the moment has a glued in crystal, it's bloody annoying.

I love cheap!! Takes me back to my roots except that I considered a $70 rep a mid-price model... :rofl:

I wouldn't worry about the glued in crystal as you are probably going to replace it anyway, right? Just toss the bare mid-case in a container with lacquer thinner and let everything dissolve.

No baking at all mate. Matte varnish and some stippling is the way to go for this effect. Here's a better close up of the dial. Its very 3d in the flesh.

wveqV.jpg

Ahh, excellent result :) Matte varnish is certainly a very useful medium :drinks:

I love cheap!! Takes me back to my roots except that I considered a $70 rep a mid-price model... :rofl:

I wouldn't worry about the glued in crystal as you are probably going to replace it anyway, right? Just toss the bare mid-case in a container with lacquer thinner and let everything dissolve.

I boiled some water in the kettle and let it soak in that until cool. Popped right out.

Must say though, I've not replaced a single one of these Silix rep crystals. The cyclops is actually not too bad. I will order some Clark or sternK crystals at some point and see if they are compatible with the cases.