When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA Reliability on rep watches?

lantis

New here, so be gentle on me :whistling:

Premium rep watches is priced higher if there is an ETA movement in it.

The prevailing notion is that ETA movement is better than Asian movement in reps. But how much better?

What I want to point is, the reliability of the movement will still be in question whether it is an ETA or Asian movement (this doesn't count fully-serviced movements after you bought it).

Correct or not? No speculations-- actual experiences please :)

I'm not entirely sure, but I do know this. If I had the choice between the two I would go ETA and not the clone. At least if I ever had to sell there would be some extra value there. If you look at the previously owned watches for sale here, there is always a premium for Swiss ETA.

I started buying 'Swiss' eta powered replicas 20+ years ago and back then the ones I got all had new swiss made etas in them, mostly 17 jewel 2846. I found them in an ad in USA Today and you called an 800 number and left a message for 'Jay' etc to call you. 'Jay' called back in 30 minutes or less, took the order, and the watches arrived COD in a few days. I still have a couple and they still run.

Fast forward to the WLD, River, Abay/WO Mart etc days of RWCC and TRC replica collector forums(late 1990's/early 2000's) and you still got new etas as advertised, sometimes as low as $159 delivered. This was the norm (except for prices!) up until around 2005/2007 or so when Swatch cracked the whip on China watch factories who did contract work for swiss brands and used genuine swiss etas...the swiss etas were leaking out under the doors and winding up in replicas and Swatch wanted it stopped.

They announced they were cutting production and started getting very particular about who got the movements.

Enter the 'etaclone'...

Today we have Asian and swiss (Sellita) 'etaclones', and genuine swiss eta movements. When you buy a 'swiss eta' replica watch, it may have a genuine movement but it also might be a 'take out' from a NOS or used watch and they come in every condition from new and clean to worn out and dirty.

Sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes not...you just have to take a chance. Many times the watches are 'drop shipped' from a location not related to the seller and the seller does not know what is really shipped out. Sometimes you hit it lucky and get exactly what you paid for although imho the chance of this is getting slimmer by the month as supplies or new and used etas in the replica market are rapidly drying up.

I always got what I ordered up until about 2007 when I got an Asian etaclone after paying for a genuine eta. Since then, I do not buy much and if I do buy something, I choose the etaclone because they are cheaper than 'genuine eta' and you can always swap the etaclone out with a genuine eta if the etaclone bites the weenie.

So...If I could be dead sure I was getting a clean genuine eta, I would pay extra for one. If I was in doubt, I would go for an etaclone and be on the lookout for a genuine eta movement.

Enter the 'etaclone'...

Today we have Asian and swiss (Sellita) 'etaclones', and genuine swiss eta movements. When you buy a 'swiss eta' replica watch, it may have a genuine movement but it also might be a 'take out' from a NOS or used watch and they come in every condition from new and clean to worn out and dirty.

Sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes not...you just have to take a chance. Many times the watches are 'drop shipped' from a location not related to the seller and the seller does not know what is really shipped out. Sometimes you hit it lucky and get exactly what you paid for although imho the chance of this is getting slimmer by the month as supplies or new and used etas in the replica market are rapidly drying up.

I always got what I ordered up until about 2007 when I got an Asian etaclone after paying for a genuine eta. Since then, I do not buy much and if I do buy something, I choose the etaclone because they are cheaper than 'genuine eta' and you can always swap the etaclone out with a genuine eta if the etaclone bites the weenie.

So...If I could be dead sure I was getting a clean genuine eta, I would pay extra for one. If I was in doubt, I would go for an etaclone and be on the lookout for a genuine eta movement.

Thanks for the insight-- I didn't even know that an advertised 'swiss eta' can be either genuine swiss ETA or Stellita <_<

IF you are assured that the movement you purchase is a real Swiss ETA, is it still recommended that these movements be serviced (i.e. cleaned and oiled) soon after purchase?

Simply no.

why a service when it runs fine and has no problems?

Maybe later.

Simply no.

why a service when it runs fine and has no problems?

Maybe later.

Actually, after more researching, this thread nails it:

I'm not sure if the QC already improved nowadays, but in any case:

Swiss movements are easily serviceable in terms of parts are easily available.

Asian movements (most or some?) are serviceable but parts are hard to find (is this still true?)

From days of reading the forum, the reliability is not guaranteed even if you have ETA movement. The plus side is the serviceability of the movement, as freddy333 mentioned.

It's just frustrating since you're paying premium for something that's more fixable and not because it's more reliable :bangin:

Any mechanical movement can be reliable if it has been serviced properly. But the converse is just as true.

The movements in nearly all rep watches -- regardless of whether they are gen ETA, Asian-made ETA clones or cheap/generic Asian -- are either used or unserviced. This means that, at best, you do no know the condition of the movement &, at worst, you have a ticking time-bomb that is not likely to last very long. For this reason, it is generally recommended that, for any good watch -- rep or gen -- you need to rely on or plan to keep, you have it professionally overhauled upon receipt. Then, like all mechanicals, you should expect 5-7 years of trouble-free service until the next overhaul. Of course, it does not pay to service a $100 watch powered by a generic Asian movement.

• 1 month later...

Any mechanical movement can be reliable if it has been serviced properly. But the converse is just as true.

The movements in nearly all rep watches -- regardless of whether they are gen ETA, Asian-made ETA clones or cheap/generic Asian -- are either used or unserviced. This means that, at best, you do no know the condition of the movement &, at worst, you have a ticking time-bomb that is not likely to last very long. For this reason, it is generally recommended that, for any good watch -- rep or gen -- you need to rely on or plan to keep, you have it professionally overhauled upon receipt. Then, like all mechanicals, you should expect 5-7 years of trouble-free service until the next overhaul. Of course, it does not pay to service a $100 watch powered by a generic Asian movement.

What does it cost to service these watches?

I have a Cartier Ballon Bleu ETA rep. It has lasted for 7 months and suddenly just stopped running. Very upsetting. I'd like to get it repaired or replaced from the dealer- i'm happy to pays something. Has anyone been successful in getting a replacement or repair from the dealer when a "better" rep failed and how much have they charged if anything?

Thanks!

What does it cost to service these watches?

I have a Cartier Ballon Bleu ETA rep. It has lasted for 7 months and suddenly just stopped running. Very upsetting. I'd like to get it repaired or replaced from the dealer- i'm happy to pays something. Has anyone been successful in getting a replacement or repair from the dealer when a "better" rep failed and how much have they charged if anything?

Thanks!

Don't send it back to China.

Minnesota <--- almost no wait time, but won't do 7750/7753

Texas <--- 4 week wait, but can do complex 7750 movements, no problem