When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Life in Alaska

Nanuq

We went out to Eklutna yesterday for some climbing up The Mitre and tried to do a quick out and back as the weather deteriorated. It went to heck on us as we came back with the wind picking up and raining sideways, blowing the Red Rover all over the road. So home and dry, all was well, and a bit of a windstorm hit. *cough*

It tore the front door off the house, tearing out 12 screws in the hinge side of the frame, and the jamb where the deadbolt tongue slides in. Lucky we have an arctic entry, sort of a double door arrangement with dead space between them, so the breezes pretty much stayed outside.

That was "bang" #1 last night, as the door tore free and hit the side of the house. "Bang" #2 happened at 5:00 this morning when a great big fatty bear came up the back steps and destroyed my "bear proof" gate onto the deck, and ate all the bird food.

I have my work cut out for me today!

Thanks, it wasn't too bad. I installed a crazy strong door and mounted it like I meant it. A couple deadbolts on the other side ought to help.

A "bear proof" gate proves harder to build. I thought I had one, and it was only a black bear that destroyed it. We have brown bears up here around 1,000 lbs and the gate would no way keep one of them off the deck. So I removed the temptation, no more bird food up there.

That ought to do it. But I'm keeping my shotgun on the main level for awhile instead of the bedroom.

Bear Proof? Is there really anything that is Bear proof?

Good question. I was in a 1-ton Ford truck once outside Nuiqsut and there were polar bears so I stopped about 30' away to admire them. When I got back to camp I mentioned it and Joe said "I bet you thought you were safe in that truck? They just weren't hungry."

:ph34r: