When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need some help from the Breitling "brains"

offshore

I have had available a set of dies to open the case backs on Breitling models.

The dies available are noted as 36, 38 and 40.

Now one would logically expect they fitted 36mm, 38mm, and 40mm across case backs.

This however doesn't appear to be the case! The one I have, marked "36" actually measures 40mm+ across the flats.

So my question is this.

What measurement across the flats do any of you have for a specific model...and what size do you understand that model to be?

I am already told that a 36 is 37 across the flats, but am now also told that a die marked 36 which was shipped to a client last week, is measuring 40mm across.

So I am a little bewildered. unsure.gif

However I am sure there is enough expertise around this place to get some real answers!

Can anyone tell me of the measurement of a specific model Breitling, and what they know that model to be referenced as (ie is a Navitimer known as a "40", or a Super Ocean a "38"...and what is the case back measurement for that model?)

Hoping I can get to the bottom of this one with the degree of expertise around this place.

Thanks guys.

Offshore

Happy to help:

Breitling Navitimer World (rep) caseback:

b2ef9417.jpg

bbf10993.jpg

Odd number of sides, so the flat end of one aligns with the point of another, but you can determine this easily with vernier calipers.

Unfortunately sold off my Datora and Tricompax Navitimer. I'll have a look at the Montbrillant Legende tonight for you.

Cheers mate :)

The 38mm chinese-made dies are advertised as fitting Navitimers, when in fact they don't.

My "38mm" die only works on Gen & Rep Aeromarine Breitlings: 44mm+ case size, not Navitimer, not Windrider.

Was that any use to you?

Guys, This is all very valuable in trying to track down what fits what..

That link to Star Time is invaluable although it becomes more confusing, as only model numbers are quoted, not model names.

Guess I can now look up the individual names.

The tricky one is that there appears to be 3 different sizes all around the 36mm mark.

One at 36.42, one at 36.07, and one at 36.16.

So things really aren't that much clearer! You wonder that they have dies this close in size...what happened to uniformity?

And then to have another at 37.06?? Oh well....................shock.gif

But please, keep the comments coming, especially anyone who knows a particular size which fits a specific model.

Thanks.

O/S

Yep, Thats a huge help. Thanks heaps.

Looks like I have it pretty sorted, although the huge range of sizes, and then finding there are different dies with 13, 14 and 15 sides doesn't help!

So its back to the drawing board, and must be a little more technically correct in what models a die fits, not just a "size"

The good thing is you never stop learning! g.gif

Offshore

Seems to me that measuring across the points makes more sense than measuring across the flats. The Chrono Avenger I happen to be wearing has 15 flats, so there are no parallel flats to measure between. Across the points it appears to be 38mm.

Andreww,

In fact it is a flat to point measurement when you have 15 sides!

BCE Back Measurement.pdf

But then who the hell knows exactly which measurement we are referring to?

My initial problem was that a client ordered a 36 and the one he received, even though marked 36, measured something around 40 across.

I do think it is a mismarked item, (and I am proceeding on this premise) but the incident has created another problem in that I need to better describe each die, and what it ACTUALLY fits, not just a measurement.

That is just plainly far too vague!

Thanks for the info that the Chrono Avenger is 38mm however, as this is what I am finally attempting to highlight.

So far I have-

Super Ocean (14 sides) 36.16

Colt (15 sides) 33.70

Windrider (15 sides) 34.16

Mont Brilliant (15 sides) 36.07

Chronomat (15 sides) 37.06

Navitimer, Chrono Avenger 38.25

Super Avenger (15 sides) 42.35

Chronomatic, Aeromarine(15 sides) 44.30

Bentley (5 blocks different die style) 36.42.

If anyone can add to this list , or point out an error, I would be very grateful.

Offshore

Navitimer, Chrono Avenger 38.25

If anyone can add to this list , or point out an error, I would be very grateful.

Offshore

hae to disagree with this bit. As i said, my 38MM die fits: SuperOcean Steelfish X-Plus, Skyland, Chrono Avenger, M1...

but not Navitimer or Chronomat Evo, which have smaller case backs

hae to disagree with this bit. As i said, my 38MM die fits: SuperOcean Steelfish X-Plus, Skyland, Chrono Avenger, M1...

SEE!

These are the very issues I am trying to solve.

If I take the sizes and models quoted on the Startime link, then search those model numbers on breitling source, this is what I come up with.

My gut feeling was that it wasn't that easy...now I'm wondering if reps have different case back sizing to gens??

Really need someone with a big Breitling collection to run some calipers, and count how many flats they have.

You would think something like this should be sooooo easy, but it is a bloody nightmare!

O/S

Then it should fit a Navitimer Heritage as well.

Whereas the Navitimer World for example has the same CB diameter as the Super Avenger.

Obviously... Navitimers are not only very different on their front side. :rolleyes:

...now I'm wondering if reps have different case back sizing to gens??

O/S

Possibly. But i do know for certain that the die fitted both my rep CA v1 and gen CA M1. Which would suggest that the casebacks for the CA series of reps were indeed 1:1

It would be handy if everyone with gen or rep Breitlings could compile a list of 'across flats' and 'across corner' or 'flat to corner' dimensions.

Seeing how expensive multiple sets of dies can be, it would be more economical to just use a Jaxa style opener...yuk!

Well some interesting further findings here!

I just received 2 sets of 4 dies for Breitling, in set packs.

The 4 dies I now have are marked 34mm 35mm 36mm and 38mm.

So lets look at each.

The 34mm has 12 flats around the hex area which means the measurement across is flat to flat. That measurement is 34.67mm.

The 35 mm die has 15 flats around the hex, so the measurement is actually from flat to a point. The measurement on this one is 36.37mm

The die marked 36mm is 15 flats, so again its a flat to point measurement.

Now the measurement on this one is 41.58mm. Thats correct 41.58mm, and I checked it twice, and also against a die from the 2nd identical set which was sent!

So finally I checked the die marked 38mm. ( I expected to see a 41++ measurement) This is again a 15 flats hex, so the measurement is again from flat to point.

However this 38 measures 38.63 across!!!

So I am more than a bit bewildered by all this.

For my sales section on the web, I am going to quote the across measurement, and let each buyer do their own due dilligence, as it appears that there are some contradicting numbers out there!

::Shakes head: shrugs shoulders::

Offshore