When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Not able to change time on my new 176

Mills

After only a couple of days use I've got a problem with my 176 that I hope is something I can fix easily. I can wind the watch no problem but when I pull the crown out to change the time, it still winds the watch. It's like I can't pull the crown out far enough to disengage it from the winding mechanism. Any ideas or is it knackered :-(

Remove the CG, open the caseback and have a look at the stem on the movement side. Try to gently pull the crown and see what happens.

As Andy said, maybe the little screw on the movement side maintaining the stem got loose...

Or the stem is too short...

I would say that the stem locking screw has worked it's way loose should be a simple fix. Where are you in the world

I'm UK based. I removed the crown guard and gave the crown a gentle tease - it came out the whole way which I'm assuming is not a good thing. Stuck it back in and it continued to wind the watch as before.

That's an easy fix, you just have to screw the stem on the movement side

I'm new to this so excuse the stupid questions. Is that the small screw right next to where the stem goes into the movement? Am I right in saying that I should tighten it up approx 1 1/2 turns?

I've never fixed a watch myself but I'm up for trying something new :-)

YAY

You know when little things make you really happy - this is one of those times. I just took it to pieces, turned the screw roughly 4/5 of a revolution and it now works perfectly. Thanks a lot for the advice guys, it made my day.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...