When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are AP ROOs worth their price?

Obviously, it's in the eye of the beholder, but to clarify my question:

Is there something special about their build quality or materials compared to other good reps?

I'm interested in the chronopassion as my first AP, but more than 500$ is an amount that requires second thought for a rep.

It seems to me there are more parts involved on an AP. The textured AP dial is also cost more to make I think. However, knowing how unreliable the modified second at 12 movements are, I wouldn't want to pay full price on it although I really like the look of Safari.

Obviously, it's in the eye of the beholder, but to clarify my question:

Is there something special about their build quality or materials compared to other good reps?

I'm interested in the chronopassion as my first AP, but more than 500$ is an amount that requires second thought for a rep.

Oh, I thought you were asking about the gen at ~17k. LOL.

The rep is worth $500 assuming the sec@12 movement is one that can be trusted. And that, I think, is a big if.

I do love the looks of the Chronopassion... It's just sad that such a beautiful piece is so fragile and gets scratched up so easily :thumbdown: I wouldn't be able to keep it in the watchbox.

I have worn it for 10 days and it's still like new.

There is no scratch at all.

Probably, the material is harder.

:)

Been wearing my Chronopassion at least once a day, and have not exactly been gentle with it; swimming, showers, daily life, kids, etc. Mrs Ubi smacked her watch against it the other day when she went to hold my hand, and it's not picked up any dings, dents or scratches. It's a lot more durable than the V2, methinks.

OK, I got it.. Please, no more teasing... ;)

Beautiful watch, can only hope that it's reliable enough. Nothing left to do but pull the triger and play the waiting game....

Just one question though - Is there any visual way to recognize V3? How can I know for sure that it's not the older V2?

Thanks a lot...

Edited by kramerica2

Just one question though - Is there any visual way to recognize V3? How can I know for sure that it's not the older V2?

V3 is all the dealers have now (V2 is long gone). So even if you wanted V2, V3 is all you'd get ;)

However, one sure way to identify the V3 at a quick glance is that the crown guards have a slightly chamferred and polished edge; V2 didn't have that. Upon closer inspection, you'll find that the surface of the V2 has a brushed finish under the media blasted finish; this is because they used left over brushed V1 cases to re-finish and sell as V2. V3 is a media blasted finish directly applied to an unfinished, smooth surface.

UBI... i'm speechless.. your pictures made me drooool

I'm on the fence about one of these or a ap diver... I think you just tipped me over the edge.

With regards to the pricing of APs... Like someone else said... it's worth the price as long as people are still willing to pay it. Not even 3 years ago... people were paying $1,000usd+ for Hublot Big Bangs. Despite that ridiculously high price, people were still paying the money!!! It's all relative I guess.

Maybe 3 years from now we'll be looking at superior APs that cost 250usd instead of 500usd... ya never know in this game.

V3 is all the dealers have now (V2 is long gone). So even if you wanted V2, V3 is all you'd get ;)

However, one sure way to identify the V3 at a quick glance is that the crown guards have a slightly chamferred and polished edge; V2 didn't have that. Upon closer inspection, you'll find that the surface of the V2 has a brushed finish under the media blasted finish; this is because they used left over brushed V1 cases to re-finish and sell as V2. V3 is a media blasted finish directly applied to an unfinished, smooth surface.

Thanks Ubi, perhaps I'm a bit confused about what V3 actually is.

As I understand, the newer CPs have better sandblasting finish (and are less prone to scratches?). I thought those were called V3. I guess I'm wrong? If so, any way to identify the newer, better finished CPs?

Thanks Ubi, perhaps I'm a bit confused about what V3 actually is.

As I understand, the newer CPs have better sandblasting finish (and are less prone to scratches?). I thought those were called V3. I guess I'm wrong? If so, any way to identify the newer, better finished CPs?

V3 is exactly as I stated above- The finish is indeed more durable; whether that is a result of a different method of media blasting, or the fact that the finish was applied to a bare case instead of one that had been brushed prior (V2) is difficult to ascertain. But those are (from what I have come to understand) the differences in cases and case finishes.

Again, the easy way to tell the difference is to look at the edge of the crown guard. V3 has a chamfer/bevel on the edge that is polished; V2 has the bevel, but it is media blasted like the rest of the case...

I would assume that is V3, however usually if I'm unsure, i usually try to buy from one of the higher end dealers that I know would be getting me the best thats available. Maybe pay the extra 10$ or whatever and get it from trusty. I wouldn't want to gamble with $500+

• Like 1