When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 6263 Daytona

Akira

The watch is coming out awesome. Don't forget to brush finish the edge of the bezel as per LHOOQ's thread.

I have to point out that this is an optional step! The only reason I remarked on it in the comparison was because I had never seen a brushed edge on a Daytona bezel before. I have seen many other examples, and I'm pretty sure they had polished edges.

You will need to re-tap the case, countersink the hole, slightly counterbore the hole, and run the tap through again for the tube to screw in far enough... After tapping you can accomplish the other two carefully with appropriate sized drill bits...

You will need to re-tap the case, countersink the hole, slightly counterbore the hole, and run the tap through again for the tube to screw in far enough... After tapping you can accomplish the other two carefully with appropriate sized drill bits...

Will send the watch to a top notch guy named FxrAndy to fit the tube :)

I have to point out that this is an optional step! The only reason I remarked on it in the comparison was because I had never seen a brushed edge on a Daytona bezel before. I have seen many other examples, and I'm pretty sure they had polished edges.

I haven't decided yet about the bezel finish, but I've too seen lots of gen 6263 with a polished bezel...

so maybe I just leave it that way :)

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Because I got a few questions about the origin and model of this particular watch:

Steve from DW stated on my thread at RWG1.1 that this is the

old-school mystery movement in a V1 case

I believe it's not built this way anymore, but I'm no expert :)

Cheers

Akira

Edited by Akira

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Akira, while the watch is in pieces, why not take the opportunityto re-shape the crown side of the case?

Gen 6263 (photo courtesy of D r S t r o n g at P u r i s t s p r o)

gen6263_underside.jpg

As opposed to DW's.

IMG_0141.jpg

This is the only thing that's starting to bug me with the DW case. I would reach for the file myself, but I am tool challenged when it comes to disassembling Rolexes.

mir36 - I would disagree because the case shape of 62xx Daytonas varies according to the period of production & I have numerous pics of gens in my archives that mirror the DW shape nearly exactly. This is not to say that Dr. Strong's case is an anomaly (it is not), but it is also not a reliable benchmark to compare all other 62xx Daytona cases to.

This is another of those cases where you can never say you know everything about vintage Rolex.