When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pre-Vendome Mix: FGD meets DW

mir36

Although I've been holding onto a small collection of Fishgodeep's exquisite Pre-V dials, completing the actual projects has taken me more time than I had originally planned. Waiting is part of the beauty of the hobby. However, I also wanted to show Simon his efforts to produce these PreV dials for the community did not go to waste on a noob, languishing in some long-forgotten parts box.

So here Simon, wherever you may be enjoying your English summer, is what happened to your dials:

5218-203a

P1000971.jpg

5218-205a

P1000972.jpg

5218-218a

P1000973.jpg

All three. You will note how the 203a has a more yellowish tint on the indices as compared to the other two:

P1000969.jpg

P1000980.jpg

P1000982.jpg

P1000978.jpg

Some people new to the hobby have been asking about the finish of FGD's dials. I have not matte sprayed these dials. I cased them as-is, in the original condition I received them from Simon. This shot shows how the dials look in various angles, under the same lighting conditions:

P1000966.jpg

The specs:

Dials: Fishgodeep

Hands: Fishgodeep v2 PreV hands

Movements: Swiss 6497-1 w/ H3 cannon pinion and hour wheel

Crowns: T48s, old school non-springloaded

Casebacks: Jakobs (sorry, will post pics later)

Straps:

5218-203a: Simona PAV 24/24mm w/ PVD buckle

5218-205a: Dirk 24/24mm

5218-218a: Simona PAV 24/22mm w/ PVD buckle

The case... yes these are DW's. I posted these pics earlier in another post just to see if anyone could figure out these were DW's. The double-sided screw-in lugbars come PVD'd. So I sanded the ends to bring out the metal. Better shots of the lug, CG and non-strapnotch:

P1000911.jpg

P1000923.jpg

P1000927.jpg

My next project:

P1000961.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by mir36

FANTASTIC work sir!! They all look great. May I ask you how much it took to complete each watch including mods? You could simply send me a PM if prices are not allowed, I would appreciate the info as I am a noob and starting to try and build a few.

Actually, your last pic intrigues me the most as the 202/a non-matching dial is the first project that I want to make. That and a 201/a non-matching. I think the burnt orange indices really looks amazing. Do you know how to get in touch with Simon (FGD) as I have tried multiple times to PM him but it seems he is not responding?

-NK

man...those DW cases are pretty good...

@ ChiMan: Yup, I'm not complaining. I believe I received my trio shortly after you received yours from DW. I was waiting for you to post some pics and your review....

This is how I received my trio BTW. Notice the hands... if you don't know how to fix this yourself then make sure DW gets it right. I was after the cases, so it really didn't bother me.

P1000884.jpg

P1000898.jpg

P1000901.jpg

P1000903.jpg

P1000905.jpg

P1000908.jpg

I can't really say the dials, hands and crown are any good. The dial indices are printed on, not engraved. One could do better with DSN's latest offerings.

The caseback however is another matter. It's thick and has very good engraving, very close to Jacob's in terms of engraving quality.

I have never seen a 111J case in person and they probably are a bit better than DW's fat lug-wise.

However in terms of a relatively inexpensive complete PreV package (especially in PVD): Case, CG, caseback and double-sided lug screws - I really can't complain.

Edited by mir36

• 2 weeks later...