When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What happened to my seconds hand post?

redwatch

A little back story here. I bought a Turn-O-Graph kit from ChiMan12 last week and I have spent the last couple of days assembling it. First of all was the extremely fun part of trying to install the oversized date wheel on the movement. That was a true exercise in patience!!! But after about an hour of fussing with it, I managed to get it installed and it is working brilliantly. Hour hand installed without issue. The minute hand wouldn't stay on so out came the trusty staking kit and I used it to compress the tube on the minute hand and now it fits brilliantly!

Now on to the problem. Trying to install the seconds hand and it just wouldn't go on for some reason. Break out the loupe to find that there is NO seconds hand post on my movement!!!! :o So my question is..... Where the heck did it go????

9f7005c3.jpg

b46ca2e2.jpg

Experts.... Can this be fixed? Any thoughts on what might have happened to it? This movement came from a Noob Submariner so I know it had a working seconds hand on it at one point :doh:

Red! It looks like a second hand tube broke off on the pinion. I would just take the dial off and take a look close. The old tube can be removed and the new hand installed. Let me know if you need any movement parts, because I got some in the bin...

Thanks C! Actually, the tube is just fine. It's sitting nicely on a spare 2824-2 I have. I think J is correct in that the 4th Wheel pinion is broken off and needs replacing.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you meant that the seconds hand tube from the TOG broke off. I think you are right that another seconds hand tube is stuck on there. I might be able to fix it when I take it all apart.

In the meantime, can anyone tell me if this looks like the right part from Ofrei?

ETA 2836-2 Fourth Wheel, SS Ht 5.55

Standard for the ETA 2836-2 and can be used with the ETA 2801, 2801-1, 2801-2, 2804, 2804-1, 2804-2.

FB-227/734

$9.35

Hope a new part fixes all and everything comes together, looks like a really sweet watch and speaking of Turn-O-Graph, or in this particular example, a classic Thunderbird, I stumbled upon this over at Silix, it appears it's only availible in TT and a blue dial though :(http://silix-prime.com/rol007-p-1780.html

I wonder if it might make for a mini project if it could accept the usual mods: gen dial, crown/tube swap.

I probably have some spare 4th wheels if you need one, S. I can ship it out, free of charge... Just need to dig them out...

Thanks R! I actually managed to fix this one :thumbsupsmileyanim: Watch is assembled and running like a champ :D Only issue is the autowind mechanism is a little unhappy. Waiting for some supplies from Ofrei so I can clean it up.