When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2011 SMPO update

maxman

Now that the date wheel is @ the 6, Im thinking a better rep is possible for the chronograph model. The Omega SMPO chrono(blumpkin) ;) Is one of my favorite watches,unfortunately the rep suffers from one of the most fuked up sunken dw In the rep biz. I like mine but that dam dw bugs the shi t out of me. There are several reps out there that have a very good dw @ the 6. If they can get this right along with those pushers,well who knows. I dont know If this would be possible due to the lack of a Co- Axial escapement. :g:

"and the movement Will suck"? can you laborate. Are you saying that A7750's suck?...wait for it

I think your comment " The factories will probably nail the rotor and make the rest of the movement look pretty good,Imho" is a little misguided.

Looking at the level of decoration they have in the Caliber 8500 and 9300 I have zero expectation they will be able to come any close. The machining alone will be too expensive.

omega-co-axial-escapement-movement-caliber-8500.jpg

omega-speedmaster-co-axial-chronograph-2.jpg

I think your comment " The factories will probably nail the rotor and make the rest of the movement look pretty good,Imho" is a little misguided.

Looking at the level of decoration they have in the Caliber 8500 and 9300 I have zero expectation they will be able to come any close. The machining alone will be too expensive.

omega-co-axial-escapement-movement-caliber-8500.jpg

omega-speedmaster-co-axial-chronograph-2.jpg

I think we can all agree that they wont be able to rep the outstanding workmenship of the gen movement. what I was saying is that they can at least make the movement look decent. Im not that concerned about a part of rep that is not seen, unless of course you take the watch off and show It to folks,and even then. But thats a personal thing,If the rep movement Is unexceptable In your eyes,then that rep is not for you. Im not going to hold my breath but I feel that this new SMPO chrono can be replicated with reasonable success. The liquid metal po Is a stand alone model. This new Omega will have a flat black ceramic bezel or a flat orange aluminum. I dont think that the factories will have that much dificulity with the bezels. Actually I dont see anything preventing them from making a good rep,I could be wrong. I think what you meant to say is,"the movement will suck aesthetically".

Not that i've seen, but you can see that only the rotor gets the treatment as you'd expect ;)

[/ I dont suggest that "only the rotor gets the treatment" but thats the easy part,right? Unfortunately it's the rest of the movement that wont be so great.,dont you think? ;) My focus is on the bezel/dial/dw. I think that the factories have already proven themselves as far as the case design/quailty aspect Is concerned. I would so much rather spend $300-400.00 $ than $5.000-6.000,If not more. :)..PS Im drunk,what do I know :no really :partytime:

• 2 weeks later...

@mikered2000 welcome to RWG. I would send narikaa a message,tell him what you are looking for. For the money(around $100.00) he probably has the best 42mm PO around. If that dosent work out then just visit are trusted dealers area. It wont hurt to do some research In the Omega section,good luck.:) Mike

I think the bigger problems will be on the dial side anyway. Function wiee they won't have the RH subdial correct. As noted it has two hands. Their function I am not sure but I am betting they can't do it with the current array of movements available. That alone would kill it for me.