When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to make this movement run slower?

Just adjust the lever as indicated on the pic. For regulating seconds just give it a slight tab. If you c the lever move you've overdone it. For regulating minutes it's okay to c the lever move a little bit.

Use tryle and error to get it right....

10787-4834.jpg

Edited by Rolexman

Just adjust the lever as indicated on the pic. For regulating seconds just give it a slight tab. If you c the lever move you've overdone it. For regulating minutes it's okay to c the lever move a little bit.

I see...I was wary about touching that one because I remember reading somewhere before to never touch that lever since it affects the balance of the wheel.

Thanks!

The lever in your picture is the correct one for this model of movement. Moving this lever will vary how fast or slow the watch runs. Just becasue it's the correct lever on this movement, doesn't mean it's the correct one on all movements, some are the opposite to this one and have the stud arm on the inside. The 2892A2 is opposite to this model.

This arm is the regulator arm, and the way to tell which one is the regulator arm is as follows:

look at the hairspring on the balance, where the hairspring ends - this is the stud arm. You never move the stud arm as this affects the beat of the watch, and to adjust the beat, you need a watch analyzer.

The arm that the hairspring passes through, is the regulator one. The danger in moving this arm is the risk of touching and damaging the hairspring. The only way to avoid this is to have loupe so you can see what your doing.

If the regulator arm is at the most negative adjustment, and the watch still runs fast, then it's a sign that the movement is dry and needs to be serviced, cleaned and oiled. A dry movement has more friction and this means the balance swings less, smaller swings equal faster rate...

RG

I took my Valjoux 72 Wittnauer chronograph into my watchmaker today. It was running about an hour fast in 24 hours. My watchmaker took one look at it and said the hairspring looked a little dirty. He took the balance wheel and hairspring out- one screw, and dipped them in the cleaning solution, let it dry and then reinstalled it. He put it on the Vibragraph after that and said it was just a little slow now. He then polished the crystal for me in about 5 seconds on another machine.

Then he looked at my Rolex 6238 rep and took the case back off on it. I had to explain to him that it was a replica from China and the movement was the Asian Valjoux 7750. He was looking for a Valjoux 72 movement thinking it was a real Rolex. He liked the inscription on the inside of the caseback also. At least it was the real inscription and not the "Gelena Shitinerand" inscription. I told him that the watch came from China and that the only problem was that there were some quality contol issues w/ the Asian 7750 movt.

The funny thing is, my watchmaker is Chinese, or I guess more accurately, of Chinese descent. He's been here in Houston in the same location for 20 years. But I'm sure glad I found him, he loves to talk about this stuff and takes the time to show me things.

He didn't even charge me to clean the hairspring on my Valjoux 72.

• 6 months later...

126044-20346.jpg

What movement is this?