When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Snowflake 94010 1st Build - Continues

tghodin

All right, some of you might have seen the start of my Snowflake 94010 posted here about 3 weeks ago?

Not? well just as good, better start reading here instead :)

It all started as following:

Josh 5513 Base

Gen Swiss 2836-2

Yuki Dial/Hands

Random insert without pearl

Crystal beaten to death to fit random insert

While i actually enjoyed it like that, i kinda felt like this handsome watch deserved something better, something way better. First of was a new crystal, a nice AM T39 from a fellow member, great! While it did indeed make a nice improvement, i decided that no, this being my first watch build ever, i must do it properly!

I took of searching ebay, and finally came across a very nice 1680 Genuine NOS insert, thin font, at 200usd incl shipping. Fair price i thought, considering the condition and current market (others i peeked at was like 250usd, and often without pearl). Paid and done, this morning it arrived and i installed it.

The only thing im now looking for is a better crown+tube, then i will settle with my first watch ever built.

Currently:

Case - Josh 5513 Base

Case mods - Aged, softened and repolished

Movement - Gen Swiss ETA 2836-2

Crystal - Nice Aftermarket T39 Dome

Insert - Genuine 1680 NOS Thin font Insert

First picture shows the old insert and crystal, 2-4 are new obviously, and the 5th shows the brightness of pearl!

post-30618-0-13646900-1313758377.jpg

post-30618-0-70453900-1313758402.jpg

post-30618-0-04495400-1313758425.jpg

post-30618-0-39310000-1313758488.jpg

post-30618-0-98317700-1313758506.jpg

That's a great build. Can I see a profile shot of the crystal? I'm not happy with the T-19 on mine and am thinking about cutting down the sidewalls of a T-39 to see if it's better.

The Josh case has tiny little stubby crown guards and they make your crown look gargantuan. When you're ready to go the next step, how about this idea... see if you can source a cast-off crown and tube from someone's MBW upgrade. Then sweet talk JMB into some of his mad machine shop skills: see if he can cut off some width from the crown, then cut a bevel into its case side, to look like a narrow 702 crown. Then have him cut down the length of the tube to match. That might give you a sweet result!

I cannot verify if the cartel tube will work, but the way a 703 crown seal fits "into" the end of its tube, instead of "flat" across the end of the tube... I wouldn't chance it leaking. I think I saw a gen 703 tube on Ebay last night for $20.

Chances are the case threads will already be correct, but you might need to relieve the case tube opening a little to let it countersink flush to the case. Easy squeasy, a drill bit and a cordless drill, 30 seconds.