When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep watch repair sggestions

lewis

What does "stopped working" mean? What are the symptoms? How old is the movement? Did it get dropped or smacked or something? How frequently did/do you wear it?

Symptoms are: it just stopped running. I wear it everyday and give it a good manual winding once a month. I picked it up to put it on last friday and the hands wern't moving. I wound it manualy and...nothing. No trouble up until last week. It's about 2 years old. Second, minute and hour hands are not moving. Hands and date can be moved via the crown.

Does that help?

Gee, woof, that certainly is nice of you to offer!

There's a guy over at RG, named Mendota, (I think he lives under a bridge) and he's in your area. You might check with him. Servicing an eta movement is pretty simple and should run $70-100, possibly a little more if you have to replace parts. You might check out RG and RWI, come to think of it, seems like there's a guy (Katt?) who might be able to help you out. Good luck and if you can't find anyone, let me know. My watchmaker charges $75, but it's always best to find someone in your area, it's quicker and easiest.

Yeh, woof, I knew you were kidding.

At least I was right about Katt being in the MSP area..., it's too far for me to go for watch repairs, but I go there for vacation in the summer to get away for this gawd awful Texas heat for a week or so.

Your not kidding about this heat! I have a friend in Denver that told me he was really tired of the heat the other day...it was 84!

Your not kidding about this heat! I have a friend in Denver that told me he was really tired of the heat the other day...it was 84!

84? sounds AMAZING if you ask me its 114 in texas at any given time. You ever get a pizza out an oven? then you have walked outside in TEXAS. and can anyone possibly explain my ETA?? it has a mind of its own! It quit working for a good 3 months I put it down after winding it and nothing then finally it starts working again after just leaving it alone for a long time. This has happened twice!

84? sounds AMAZING if you ask me its 114 in texas at any given time. You ever get a pizza out an oven? then you have walked outside in TEXAS. and can anyone possibly explain my ETA?? it has a mind of its own! It quit working for a good 3 months I put it down after winding it and nothing then finally it starts working again after just leaving it alone for a long time. This has happened twice!

Sounds like it's dirty and needs a regular service. $70 to $100 depending on who does it.

There's a man in Texas for that and one in the mid-west as well. Texas man has a 4 week wait. mid-west man normally turns it around in a few days.

Gee, woof, that certainly is nice of you to offer!

...seems like there's a guy (Katt?) who might be able to help you out. Good luck and if you can't find anyone, let me know. My watchmaker charges $75, but it's always best to find someone in your area, it's quicker and easiest.

Contacted Katt and dropped by his house. He was kind enough to crack open the watch for a “look see” while I was there. After he removed the back he said, “that’s weird, these two screws are usually matching”. He goes on to tell me that if one of the tiny (matching) black screws gets dropped, it’s usually replaced by a similar but silver screw. He pops off the half moon shaped thing (the winder?) and says, “Well well, found the missing screw”. Looks like during assembly somebody lost one of the tiny screws, thought it was on the floor and replaced it with another. Unfortunately for me, the “lost” screw was floating around inside the watch for two years and then decided to jam. Fortunately for me, Katt is an awesome guy and fixed it quickly.

Thanks Katt! If anyone needs watch service in MN, contact Katt.

Boy lewis, that's great. You got your watch fixed and now you have a guy who does repair work. That's one of the keys to enjoying this hobby is having someone who will work on your watches. Now you can buy more reps and know you can get them fixed if need be!