When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pre-A PVD PAM

Finepics

Thought you might like to see my new project.

10543-4862.jpg

I had the case PVD plated by a UK company that has done a proper TiAIN coating. The case and bits were beadblasted then coated. I used one of Davidesen's dials, which is unusually a sandwich dial so I was able to fill the pierced numbers with lume (coloured yellow) so that the lume is flush with the dial (just like some of the Pre-A type dials). The correct dial for this to match the caseback (5218-201/A) should be the OP logo without sub seconds which I hope davidsen will release soon (he is working on it) so I can fit it to this. Anyone who buys these dials should be aware that they do not fit the standard PAM case, they are 35.25mm whereas the dials we are all used to are 34mm so you will need to reduce the diameter if you buy one for an existing PAM rep. I will make Davidsen aware of this and hope he can correct it, but he makes these dials to fit the cases he supplies which are different to the ones we are all used to. My other criticisms of these dials are the surface finish which is matt and should be a satin, and the screen printed lettering for Luminor Marina etc is not bold enough - it should be whiter and slightly raised, again like the dials we are all used to. Next on the list is the PAM 27 PR to convert to a PAM 28.

Lookin' good. The case looks hot!

Perhaps it's my monitor, but the lume looks unusually yellow - not like Tritium-style color... And I know Tritum color varies from watch to watch, I've got 20+ vintage Tritium watches and none are that color. Again, could be color correction in my screen.

Cheers

PS. Good to know about the dial size variation. How did u trim it down? With a lathe or by hand?

Ouch Mark, you got me! :black_eye:10555-4861.gif

I was completely unaware about this project of yours.

So you found an UK company performing real PVD coating and beadblasting, and you kept your mouth shut?

Tsk tsk tsk!... :brow:

Ok, seriously: great project! Much more personal and deep-thought than the majority we all know (mines included...) :clap:

By chance, do I know anything about that lume? ;)

Next on the list is the PAM 27 PR to convert to a PAM 28.

That is a thing that I really want to see, how you will be able to get a hobnail dial from a flat one! :D

2 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

2 Members: sssurfer, Finepics

Nice to meet a vampire fellow, Mark.

And why your name is in italics, and mine not???

I have a lot of photos of Pre-A PAM's some of which seem to be a sort of yellow colour. Some are more orange than yellow but it is difficult to gauge from photos that may not be colour corrected and as far as I can tell this is not far off. It is very slightly more yellow than C3 lume....

Euno - can you send me some pics of your Tritium if its easy to do.

I had to trim the dial using my hand motor (like a dremel but more adavnced). This is only a prototype till I get the proper dial for the series so any help is welcome on the colours. The lume is a mix of C3 with some yellow fine grain dental porcelain stain powders mixed in. I think for the next OP logo dial I will add a little orange as well.

sssurfer - sorry for keeping silent on this but it is/was a prototype for - guess what - my next service; PVD coatings. Just got to finalise the pricing but it will be very competetive.

@Finepics

I will send you close ups tomorrow when I get a chance to take some pics for you. I do not own any PAMs with Tritium (wish I did). Some pics I have seen of the Tritium PAMs show a yellowish color, but perhaps it remains more on the 'rusty sorta dirty yellowish kinda tea-stained' tip. This kind of look seeems to be common with Tritium when exposed to lots of UV over the years. Makes perfect sense for a vintage dive watch IMHO. I guess what I mean is that it is less yellow and more like a rusty mellow duller darker yellow. Wow, I'm sounding crazy :crazy: I hope I'm making some sense here :crazy:

Perhaps pics will explain better... I've got a nice macro feature on one of my cameras... Stay tuned.

CHEERS

The Panerai Tritium seems to age to the pinkish beige and sometimes yellow-ish patina prematurely because of the varnish used to coat it. This was a problem even up to the F serialed Submersibles (mostly on the hands). Lots of owners would send theirs in to be changed under warrantly as corrosion was speading onto the hands' borders.

All in all, looking good, Mark. The only apparent issue I see is with the shape of the numerals on the dial and the size of the baton markers, since the Pre-A's used Pre-V dial left overs. None the less, a nice job :)

@finepics

Thats awesome watch, good work on that, KUDOS!

May I ask you one question:

How did you scale the dial down from 35,25 to 34mm?????

I just received a MM-dial yesterday to use for my PVD coated Base...like to do a good job too, so any help will be appriciated.

THX,

Theo

@finepics

Thats awesome watch, good work on that, KUDOS!

May I ask you one question:

How did you scale the dial down from 35,25 to 34mm?????

I just received a MM-dial yesterday to use for my PVD coated Base...like to do a good job too, so any help will be appriciated.

THX,

Theo

Wasnt until I went to fit it that I realised it was too big so I had to line up a standard dial on the new dial and score a line with which to grind to!! Simple as that!

Ubi and Euno - thanks for your help, the next dial will have a little more orange. I did do another with the old radiomir colour but it looked way too coral pink and I didn't like it at all. The numerals are wrong - I know, but not a lot can be done about that. Crucially this is marked as T Swiss T not T-Swiss-T which is also a shame

Finepics: The yellow coloured lume looks great on your customized PVD casing! :) Can't wait for david's 5218-201/A dial and I am sure the OP dial look fanatabulous on yours.

Your current dial resembles the genuine PAM 4A. (if I am not mistaken)

How much did the PVD job cost for you? (if you don't mind to divulge)

Cheers!

sennsi

Thanks finepics, that was exactly what I was thinking of, will get the dial from my 005 base out .

ANOTHER Q: did you put the lume on the "under-dial" very thick and after some 1/2 hour fix both dial parts together to get this 3-D lume effect with slighly sunken in color???

Best wishes,

Theo