When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help With Sanding Down A Gen Sub Insert

If you are talking about grinding the outside, here's how I did it... I attached the bezel insert to the end of a drill with a little bit of silly putty. Then I used a diamond stone (used for deburring ski edges) to take it down ever so slightly while the drill was running. This takes a while, but leaves an edge with no burrs.

135717-18220.jpg

since this question may have been overlooked in my last post, does anyone have any recommendations to sanding down the gen insert so it fits like it does in the gens, just a little sunken in the bezel. would appreciate the pointers

I use one of those little cylinder shaped grinding 'drums' (for lack of better term). It's pretty course grit... But there is a lot of material that needs to be removed from the back.

I mask the front, place it face down, and rotate the insert while I hold the dremel like a pencil, angled down to correlate with the shape of the insert.

I purchased a bunch of aftermarket inserts from eBay to practice on first. Once I got the technique and results that I was happy with, I went to work on the gen insert.

J, I received a nicely ground gen that needed a bit more sanding to achieve a perfect fit on my TWb.

I used a sanding drum on the dremel. I held the insert between thumb and index finger and carefully ground the insert. I checked often (make that very often) to check the fit on the bezel. I takes time and patience. The back of the insert should be perfectly flat when complete.

Congrats on the TW! Awesome little watch. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Added: You guys are super quick! I didn't see the above posts before posting the reply. Glad to see that Ubi also uses the dremel sanding drum method. :)

thanks gents, just wanna do the backside so i get that tiny lip over the insert from the bezel.

gotta bunch of crummy inserts lying around, so i"ll just practice on them this weekend to get the technique down.

@jetsons - thanks for the congrats, cant wait to get this thing modded, it really is the best case i have seen. of course, now i gotta get some more bits to drill the lugs being that i've literally broke 10 of them doing the last 3 cases :)

and ubi, as always, you are a champ.....i would be happy with whatever i got if it wasnt for your inspiration!!!!!!

does it ever end, or am i [censored]ed for life???? :)

thanks gents, just wanna do the backside so i get that tiny lip over the insert from the bezel.

gotta bunch of crummy inserts lying around, so i"ll just practice on them this weekend to get the technique down.

@jetsons - thanks for the congrats, cant wait to get this thing modded, it really is the best case i have seen. of course, now i gotta get some more bits to drill the lugs being that i've literally broke 10 of them doing the last 3 cases :)

and ubi, as always, you are a champ.....i would be happy with whatever i got if it wasnt for your inspiration!!!!!!

does it ever end, or am i [censored]ed for life???? :)

I think you [censored]ed for life :bleh:

Welcome in the game ;)