When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Opinions on this Explorer II (white face) please....

dutchguy2

Just got this Explorer II white face. It is the current PT one.

This one has an ETA 2836 movement with the correct hand stack (CHS). Time will tell if it was a ticking time bomb :whistling:

What I like on this one is: (please note that I am no expert, not at all, hence me asking for opinion here)

+ CHS

+ Nice black-ish hands and index surroundings (it is some sort of gunmetal black)

+ Rehaut a bit wokky but nothing to bad and I think there is enough thickness.

+ Great date magnification

+ Bezel, looks good to me

Where I have some doubt is:

- Color of the dial. It is white, real white. I have never seen a gen with white dial so I really like to know if it should be that white.

- Position of "swiss made" on the dial. It is too high

- The index surroundings, could be a that thicker but I'm not sure on this one either

- Lume, could be stronger for a SL dial and hands

What I don't care about is;

- CG (can be modded pretty easy)

- Crown (see above)

- Bracelet (see above)

Nice to know is that I measured the dial opening of the case and it is 27mm. Would a gen dial fit??

What I really would like to know is what our experts think of this example! Does it have potential to become a good (after modding) replica of the gen one. And if not why and if yes what need to be done.

foto424.jpg

foto425.jpg

foto426.jpg

Yes, this is the same watch. It is just an effect of light and the gun color hands that make the appear steel.

foto427.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Mine should be here tomorrow I got it off the forum let me know your opinion and congrats on that purchase.

As I mentioned in the sales thread, you did NOT get the same watch.

I've had the one you just bought. It has black dial indices and hands (which is good) but it is NOT CHS. You can tell fairly easily from the pics in the sales thread.

Mine should be here tomorrow I got it off the forum let me know your opinion and congrats on that purchase.

Besides the CHS or WHS I think you have the same dial as I have. Your hands are different, mine are more off but yours are off too.

Your date mag is less but probably more correct.

Still both are nice watches though :thumbsupsmileyanim:

As I mentioned in the sales thread, you did NOT get the same watch.

I've had the one you just bought. It has black dial indices and hands (which is good) but it is NOT CHS. You can tell fairly easily from the pics in the sales thread.

Where in here did I state this was CHS or the same watch? I just simply said I just bought a explorer II...

Besides the CHS or WHS I think you have the same dial as I have. Your hands are different, mine are more off but yours are off too.

Your date mag is less but probably more correct.

Still both are nice watches though :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I am kind of glad it is WHS as opposed to CHS due to the problems they have caused in the past. And do you know if a gen dial would go on this watch in the future? And plus 99.9 Percent of my friends are not rolex dealers so I do not have to be so worried about the super fine details :) I just wear it in good spirits.

A gen dial isn't going to work. I went through this recently with the same watch from the same dealer. The date wheel is in the ETA position, and your dial is bigger than a gen. Do you already have a gen dial? An older Noob Explorer is your ticket for the gen dial.

Edited by Ruprekt