When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My old 1601

txrob779

I bought it from Dallas Gold and Silver Exchange in 2005...it is a 5 million serial which dates it at 77-79 non quickset...a 5*** movement. It was completly original w/ box set and I paid $1500 for it, sold it for $1300. It was my first Gen Rolex and I want a rep of this watch to bring back the memory. It was warrantied for 2 years and never leaded water or acted up...it was awesome.

878.jpg

A wristie

To me, the 1601/3 'pie pan' DJ defines the rolex watch. I know 'sporty' models get all the attention but for an everyday watch, the slow set DJ is still my favorite 'dressy' rolex.

I also have a 6605 and they are probably closer to being 'the original DJ' than the 1601/3 etc but with the 1030 parts situation it is not a practical everyday watch for me.

Quick set 16000, 16200 are Ok but they just do not have the 'vintage look' with flat top dials and thicker cases.

I like a steel 1603 with silver, white, or black dial, machined bezel, and oval link jubilee...or the same case with smooth bezel and rivet oyster bracelet.

The 6605 is dated III-59 but the swiss jubilee is dated 1972, that's the way I bought it and they are not a very close match in production dates.

DGSE...I bought some steel DJ bezels from them 10+ years ago. They were fair and easy to deal with.

DGSE was great for me..genuine Rolex's, 2 year warranties...those pics arent great but mine had a machine cut bezel too,,,my wifes 6916 had issues the date wheel stopped at the 21st 3 months in a row AFTER the serviced it, finally DGSE just swapped the dial and diamond bezel and just hooked me up with a new watch of same vintage w/a new 2 year warranty. My wife LOVED that Rolex man.

DGSE was great for me..genuine Rolex's, 2 year warranties...those pics arent great but mine had a machine cut bezel too,,,my wifes 6916 had issues the date wheel stopped at the 21st 3 months in a row AFTER the serviced it, finally DGSE just swapped the dial and diamond bezel and just hooked me up with a new watch of same vintage w/a new 2 year warranty. My wife LOVED that Rolex man.

Do you mean, "she loved that Rolex...man" or "she loved that Rolex man." Just wondering...

M

Funny was talking to a RWG bud today and said the same thing...if your going Franken....why not use the Italian Rolex style bracelets...why pay $1500 when you can spend $100 and who knows. I am really wanting to find a modded DJ just like that 1601...I think I have a shot at one soon.

Rob

Rob,

Nice 1601!

I agree with what automatico said... The pie pans are classic Rolex...

I am not really into vintage stuff ..well thats not correct...I prefer late model Subs, Explorers, PAMs...but I SOOO prefer 60'70's vintage Datejust's...but I have these vitage pieces

1903 South Bend Conductor Pocket Heirloom

007.jpg

41 Hamilton Stuart w/box set Heirloom

009.jpg

47 Hamilton Jeffrey w/Box set Heirloom

008.jpg

48 Hamilton Daouglas Heirloom

66 Timex Mercury Heirloom

64 Times Electric Heirloom

70 Vulcain Heirloom

74 Seiko 7006 17J Heirloom

77 Seiko 6309 19J Heirloom

75 Seiko QS Quartz w/box Heirloom

77 Waltham Quartz Heirloom

I love waering then all but some need service

Will take and post better pics if ya'll wanna see em?