When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Project 3717- It's all about the little details...

ubiquitous

Been a while since I've really given any thought to my 3717 Pilot frankenstein. I had been after a gen crown and tube set for a long time, and I finally got my hands on a pairing.

001.jpg

003.jpg

Seems to be the little details that fine tune the build; while the crown and tube are pretty small in their own right, I expect that they'll make for a pretty big impact to the overall feel and aesthetics of this one.

Now I just need to find some time to install...

The crown and tube indeed do make a surprising difference. The gen crown really sparkles compared to the rep.

With the gen case set I would rank each item in this order:

1. Gen caseback - adds bulk that is noticeable on the wrist compared to the rep and is contoured differently.

2. Gen crown/tube - the crown sparkles, and the internal threading is night and day compared to rep.

3. Gen case - the edge chamfers are crisp and noticeable compared to the rep, the gen lugs are slightly longer and contoured differently.

4. Gen crystal - yea it's gen, but the AR sucks.

The crown and tube indeed do make a surprising difference. The gen crown really sparkles compared to the rep.

1. Gen caseback - adds bulk that is noticeable on the wrist compared to the rep and is contoured differently.

2. Gen crown/tube - the crown sparkles, and the internal threading is night and day compared to rep.

3. Gen case - the edge chamfers are crisp and noticeable compared to the rep, the gen lugs are slightly longer and contoured differently.

Gen saphire is VERY expensive.

Last 2 I got was $400, and generally back-ordered.

I am going to compare it before I ship it, but I think the IWC saphire might be clearer than the rep, not quite as grey.

I have been wanting to photograph these to highlight the difference.

Didn't Taka do a comparison where the lighting and angles were consistent?

Gen saphire is VERY expensive.

Last 2 I got was $400, and generally back-ordered.

I am going to compare it before I ship it, but I think the IWC saphire might be clearer than the rep, not quite as grey.

I have been wanting to photograph these to highlight the difference.

Didn't Taka do a comparison where the lighting and angles were consistent?

You're not going to notice a difference in sapphire quality to the naked eye, I don't think. Even with a scratch-dig on the low quality end of the spectrum, the naked eye probably isn't going to detect it unless there is a really bad manufacturing defect in the rep crystal (which might not be too far fetched in some). But I had just become used to my rep crystal with my own AR, and it was crystal clear. Now with the gen crystal and gen AR, I get these pesky reflections all the time. Annoying to say the least. It really detracts from the watch. Some peeps worry about AR "accuracy" per the gen. Me? I want my AR to do what it's supposed to do... and I'm ready to strip and recoat this gen! $400 for a gen crystal?!? Absolute highway robbery!

How does the caseback screw on the rep case? is it a perfect fit? any threading issues? is it really that noticeable?

How does the caseback screw on the rep case? is it a perfect fit? any threading issues? is it really that noticeable?

Threading issues? No. But it doesn't screw on smoothly like the gen does to the gen case. It's noticeable, but then again, how often do you take the caseback off/on?

What's most noticeable is the bulk. The gen case + caseback compared to the rep combo is noticeably thicker. Set them side by side on a flat surface, and you'll notice it. And you can see the difference on the wrist as well.

Threading issues? No. But it doesn't screw on smoothly like the gen does to the gen case. It's noticeable, but then again, how often do you take the caseback off/on?

What's most noticeable is the bulk. The gen case + caseback compared to the rep combo is noticeably thicker. Set them side by side on a flat surface, and you'll notice it. And you can see the difference on the wrist as well.

What do you think is a rough estimate of what that would cost. I'm thinking it's probably a bit..

Maybe it's a mm thicker if anything? They look so close it's crazy. The crown is definitely a difference, Thank god I have Texski hooking me up.

S,

You are so funny. Glad I could help. :D

Let's see pictures when it gets back.

And Superlative, good to see you again. You have one of the sharpest eyes I know.

One of the best comparisons of Rep and IWC cases is found here. IWC 3717 Flieger Chronograph (Rep vs Gen)

I hope you can access it. They did a great job repping this case.