When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My First Project: 1016

Hello guys,

I had the opportunity to get a DJ (lookalike) case, crowns, ETA 2846 and an Explorer dial for cheap (was on ebay).

It is my first 'real' project and so I have some questions.

Here the things I got:

1 generic, 2 Rolex crowns (I don't know the 530/600 very well, so I can't say if they are gen, but I doubt it)

dsc_5289qq46.jpg

dsc_5290trcb.jpg

dsc_5288grro.jpg

The stem does not seem to be the right one for the 2846

dsc_5281kqbc.jpg

The second hand is slightly bent, the minute hand is rubbish (bent and loosing its lume) but the hour hand is great because it is curved !

dsc_5292bpx4.jpg

The case has some flaws; the hole for the tube is messed up and the sides are not curved. Lughole position looks good, enough space and meat to drill them. The caseback is very flat, but brushed.

dsc_52938qbl.jpg

dsc_5294bok3.jpg

dsc_5295zq9q.jpg

dsc_5296uq35.jpg

And the dial: I searched a while and it seems to be a MBK/MBW dial because of the 'SWISS MADE', the printing is crisp, and has a nice lume. I tried to find out if there were any SL service dials with that 'SWISS MADE' printing, but I couldn't find any.

dsc_52972qa4.jpg

dsc_5299wq2w.jpg

My To-Do list:

- sand the case a bit to get that curved look

- drill the lugholes

- drill and retap the hole and fit a Clark's 24-6020 (?) tube

- polish the caseback partly, the brushed area must be a bit smaller in diameter

- fit a Clark crystal or a GS if I can find one in Europe (is there any source?)

- clearcoat the dial

- find a minute hand

- find an ETA stem and hopefully one of the crowns fit the tube

- find a 7836 or jubilee bracelet

Can anyone help my with the crowns and tubes. Which tap do I need and can anyone tell me something about the crowns and stem I got?

How does the dial looks like? It looks good to me but I'm no expert, the 'SWISS MADE' bothers me, but otherwise I don't want to spend much money on another one.

So what do you think? I appreciate any advice!

Thanks, 1680

Edited by 1680

Well, our resident Explorer expert is LHOOQ, with his help, I was able to put together a very nice Explorer rep/franken.

You're off to a good start, but your case could be your biggest problem. First off, does your dial fit in the case properly? Secondly, you've got to fit a plastic crystal. Try a T-21 and T-22 from Clark's and hopefuly one will fit snugly. If not, you'll have to get the calipers out and and at least try to find a crystal that fits snugly over the inside lip. At that point you could send the case and crystal to jmb and have him fab up a bezel to fit correctly.

6020 tube is fine, and you should really retap the case hole before you install the tube, 3.0mm x .35 tap. One of you crowns should fit. Then you need an eta stem which should come Tap 10, 0.90 mm. 2846-2 is a good movement. Your dial looks OK and the 'Swiss Made' would denote a more recent service dial, but you've got good lume and that's something I like on my reps. Hands can be also be bought from Clark's. Your hour hand may be ok, but if you just install a new set, you'll have good lume to go along with your dial. Hopefully you've got a spacer ring to use on the inside to keep your movement in place and at that point you should be good to go.

If you're over in the EU, Cousinsuk would be the place to get parts.

I know LHOOQ is the 1016 expert, I think I read all his topics and his pictures give me the motivation.

And yes, the dial fits perfectly and I also have the right spacer ring for it. I bought a M3x0.35 tap a while ago for my 1680, didn't know it is the same, great!

Hopefully a Clark crystal will fit, read a lot about this issues, maybe I'll find someone in Europe who sells GS crystals, would be better.

Can someone tell me where I can get screws and those small metal pieces that hold the movement in place ?

Thanks

I would have commented earlier, but I couldn't see the pictures at work.

What's the source for your case? The sides of the mid-case are a bit slab-sided, more like a Sub or a Milgauss, and I'm wondering if you could save yourself a lot of hard labor by getting a more Datejust-like case. As alligoat suggests, do take measurements of the outside of the rehaut and the inside of the bezel. If the rehaut diameter is correct (29.5mm), then I do urge you to get a bezel from jmb. No, he doesn't send me a small check for each one he sells, but I do like seeing them on 1016 builds! :)

I agree that the dial's an MBW. 'SWISS MADE' aside, it's excellent, and probably the best Explorer dial under $200, given the stuff that Yuki now sells. (Space-Dweller dials are another matter, though.)

Good luck, and I hope to see future updates!

I paid about 50€ on ebay for all you can see, the seller hadn't much knowledge about the stuff he was selling. So the origin of the case is unknown.

The sides are an issue, but before I source another case I try to sand them a bit, the rest of the case looks fine in my eyes. Unfortunately I don't have a caliper that is precise enough, but I gonna get one soon.

Based on my research: if it would be a SL service dial, it just would say "SWISS", right?

Cheers

Edited by 1680

SL is 'Swiss Made'

Luminova is 'Swiss'. Luminova was only used for about a year around 1999-2000. So modern 'Swiss' dials are rare. Dials were also marked 'Swiss' prior to 1963 when they were still using radium, prior to tritium.

Looking at your case, it might also be for a sapphire crystal, which would be another reason to contact jmb. You just won't be able to get that bezel over a plastic crystal.

The case is for plexi crystals, it came with an old one but it was cracked. I measured the case roughly, the rehaut OD is about 29,5mm, this should be fine, the bezel ID is about 30,5mm, so it needs to be machined or a whole new bezel is needed :mellow:

Thank you ubi, didn't expect that but unfortunately I am in Europe :bye2:

Cheers