When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lost That Springy Piece

Devedander

Was messing with my Daytona trying to resize it a bit and the spring loaded bar that holds the bracelet to the clasp jumped out and flew across the room... it's not a particularly clean room and after an hour of looking I pretty much gave up...

I will be calling around tomorrow to try and find a store that sells the part (seems like there are no watch repair stores anywhere in town) and was wondering if someone would tell me what it's called?

Thanks

It's called a spring bar and don't go to the watch store for them, take an accurate measurement of where it fits and then go to your local key cutter/shoe repair/watch repair stall in the mall.

One tip if they think it's for a $10 digital watch it will cost you a buck but if they know it's for a Daytona it will cost you $20.

Ken

It's called a spring bar and don't go to the watch store for them, take an accurate measurement of where it fits and then go to your local key cutter/shoe repair/watch repair stall in the mall.

One tip if they think it's for a $10 digital watch it will cost you a buck but if they know it's for a Daytona it will cost you $20.

Ken

Thanks for the advice... I actually have a friend who owns a fix it shop (vacuums, lamps, key cuts, toasters etc) and I think I will go ask him, he won't rip me off for anything. But failing that I really didn't want to go into a watch shop with an obviously fake rolex anyway... so I appreciate the advice either way.

I measured it with a ruler (pretty decent) and it's a 14mm gap (does that sound right?) so I will try both venues tomorrow and hope I get lucky.

Fortunately under closer examination there was a second spring bar right next to where the main one goes (I supposed to support the clasp or something) so worst case I can just bring that in (if I don't loose it taking it out) for an exact match.

Those things are deceptive... the thing flew out like a javeline...

Edited by Devedander

Devedander,

I think you may need to measure that again... 14m sounds way too small... most of these would be 18mm or 20mm. ( I think... if we are talking about the same thing)

All my RX ( I don't have a Daytona) are 20mm where the bracelet attaches to the watch, and the bracelet to clasp are held with screws, and would only be about 10mm long.

Maybe you can photo it, or I suppose just take it to your mate and let him size it.

but if its springy... its a spring bar!

good luck.

Offshore

Thanks for the input guys. Yes it is the one that goes in the clasp not the one that holds the strap onto the watch.

Those things are tricky... I never had a problem before, but for some reason it just wouldn't go into it's hole, so I thought I would pull it out and start over... one end still braced adn the other end just launched out...

Yeah I am trying to size it down 1/2 link or so... as it is it's a bit big and hangs too far on my hand, minus one more link it's too small and pinches when I bend my hand backwards.

Slightly OT but the other spring bar (the one that sits near the 3 holes that can be moved) I can't get out... the holes don't go thorugh the clasp so I can't push in from the outside, I have tried to pris at it in the small holes that are obviously for getting to it with a small screw drier but no luck... is there a trick to this process? Thanks!