When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

There is really no interest in Porsche design watches,is there..

Dave123

interesting topic this, it's kind of at the heart of why people like their watches. personally i really like some of the porsche design watches, especially the flat 6 chrono which i have and the world timer i have on order. i appreciate them because of their design and their chunky sporty engineered look, the good ones really have something about them. though i have owned a 911 in the past the name does not bring anything to the table for me. if the same watches were made by another brand i'd be just as interested, because imho they look and function great.

Edited by benk

As a former advertising/design/marketing student, this has turned into a very informative and interesting thread :good: I can see the issue of 'Branded Watches' (as opposed to Brand Name Watches) always being seen as a negative double-edged sword, ie the guy wearing one without the car will be seen as a wannabe, the guy wearing one with the car, will be seen as a brand fanboy, so no easy win for that situation...

As for the GMT with no date, that does make sense. If I was wearing a GMT and using the bezel to track the timezone in Tokyo, at some point, that would then be telling the time 'tomorrow', but the single date window would only be tracking the date of my home timezone, thus displaying an incorrect date for Tokyo. Having no date at all, would resolve that potential conflict, by simply removing the complication allogether. Sure, it means no date at all, but at least it also means neither zone gets preferential treatment :) I forget if digital worldtime watches display the date for the other timezone as well as the time :g:

And as for new and innovative watches, absolutely :) I just wish Rolex would pull their finger out and release the DayStar (late 21st century design with digital touchscreen ;) )

Odd.

They make one fugly automobile and dorks seem to like them. They have these watches and nobody seems interested

I guess I am a dork because not only I do drive one of these and actually one of the so called ugliest ones from 996 series, I also think about getting a black edition 1 flat six watch to go with it! :) :)

hub2.jpg

hub3.jpg

hub5.jpg

hub6b.jpg

As for the GMT with no date, that does make sense. If I was wearing a GMT and using the bezel to track the timezone in Tokyo, at some point, that would then be telling the time 'tomorrow', but the single date window would only be tracking the date of my home timezone, thus displaying an incorrect date for Tokyo. Having no date at all, would resolve that potential conflict, by simply removing the complication allogether. Sure, it means no date at all, but at least it also means neither zone gets preferential treatment :) I forget if digital worldtime watches display the date for the other timezone as well as the time :g:

That makes sense.. :) Thanks! Sometimes "less is more.."

I really like the PD watches, in particular the highly acclaimed Flat 6 chronographs. The rotors in the PD watches are among the nicest designs ever IMO, and some of their watches have stunningly detailed and intricate dials that set these watches apart from the vast majority of other sport watches. And what about the Indicator chronograph complication, ingenious or what? Or the Diver, whose design is even better than the original Eterna (IMO)? Sadly, though, the diver replica is a POS.

I love the Porsche Design stuff.... i have 3 Porsche design watches and wear them all the time .. love the flat 6 but it does not fit right on my wrist .. i wear the "limited 911" as a daily wear... god knows how many other random Porsche Design items around the house ..... my mouse for one lol : P hmmm a lot of stuff except clothing .. think thats a little over the top .. i do have a martini racing subtle looking polo but no crest on it .. and an adidias PD jacket .. also very subtle no crest ... im a huge Porsche lover so pretty much everything i have has to do with porsches in some way or another.. when i visit my parents a few times a year i pop by the Porsche Design store in the mall in Aventura,FL and Champion in Pompano Beach : ) drool... before the question comes ... yes ! i do own ... and drive ....since i started driving ive had em...I am a 3rd generation Porsche enthusiast ... so its kind of in my blood : P ...

+1! Even though I do not have a PD watch (I have wanted one), I love their products. I own just about everything cigar related they make. Their luggage alone has much engineering to them as their cars. Their watches would be more appealing I think, if they would engineer their own movements and not use a off the shelf ETA.

Anyone that hates Porsche has never driven one or did not know how to drive one. About 2 cars come to mind, that can compete with a Porsche on a track...of course the street is a different story.

Nothing against Porsche, PD or its owners of cars or apparel....but I just don't like PD watches. I did have a Flat Six chrono a long time ago, hardly ever wore it and sold it on.

Some of the PD watches remind me of modern German minimalism. Bauhaus reborn.

Reasons I loved my Porsches

1. Incredibly fun cars to drive

2. No other car looks like them

3. 26,000 race wins and counting (Porsche, not me :D )

4. Affordable to own/run/insure

5. Fantastic resale value

6. Made money on the sale of every one

7. With such long-lasting model iterations I could buy parts at the milkbar (almost)

8. Had fantastic dealer support even though I was not a new car buyer

9. True enthusiasts worked in the service dept. Porsche Cars Australia and always helped me when building my last Porsche - a replica 1993 3.6 turbo

10. They're bloody reliable

11. They're not BMW's :D

... Oh and driving mine always made me feel good

My Lamborghini on the other hand (LP400S) was the worst car I have ever owned. My Mercedes 190E AMG Hammer dropped like a stone in value within a year (50%!) and was literally undriveable in the wet

And now that I am a pauper these days, my Porsche Design Diver that I just got on Wednesday is a great rep ... I make no excuses that I bought it as a fashion accessory and at $120 I think it was a deal. It has sat in my drawer with its friends for the past two days and hasn't missed a beat - I will adjust the strap tomorrow and wear it to the big smoke on Monday, along with my Salvation Army Store suit, shoes, tie and shirt and I will have a happy day ;)

Reasons I loved my Porsches

1. Incredibly fun cars to drive

2. No other car looks like them

3. 26,000 race wins and counting (Porsche, not me :D )

4. Affordable to own/run/insure

5. Fantastic resale value

6. Made money on the sale of every one

7. With such long-lasting model iterations I could buy parts at the milkbar (almost)

8. Had fantastic dealer support even though I was not a new car buyer

9. True enthusiasts worked in the service dept. Porsche Cars Australia and always helped me when building my last Porsche - a replica 1993 3.6 turbo

10. They're bloody reliable

11. They're not BMW's :D

... Oh and driving mine always made me feel good

My Lamborghini on the other hand (LP400S) was the worst car I have ever owned. My Mercedes 190E AMG Hammer dropped like a stone in value within a year (50%!) and was literally undriveable in the wet

And now that I am a pauper these days, my Porsche Design Diver that I just got on Wednesday is a great rep ... I make no excuses that I bought it as a fashion accessory and at $120 I think it was a deal. It has sat in my drawer with its friends for the past two days and hasn't missed a beat - I will adjust the strap tomorrow and wear it to the big smoke on Monday, along with my Salvation Army Store suit, shoes, tie and shirt and I will have a happy day ;)

post-37924-0-02328400-1320405245.jpg

Well I tried to add a pic and get rid of my duplicate post but I am getting some funky message preventing any changes taking effect - sorry folks.

I really liked my Ferrari 008 PAM but the "poser" aspect finally made me give it to a friend who had Ferrari shit everywhere even though he never came closer than standing beside one in Vegas and getting his picture taken. My Breitling for Bentley was OK but never warmed to it enough to pass up a good trade. Got an AMG Mercedes SL (Quartz) in a rep grab bag auction here and gave it away without even wearing it once. - Guess I don't like the "branded" issue. Bought the Porsche Design Flat six and didn't like it as a watch irregardless of branding.

Cars are a different matter. Haven't done English since my XKE and my interests never included Italian. But after several M-series BMWs, AMG Mercedes (including SL55), Lexus and Infinity etc. seems like I always go back to Porsche. My 6th and 7th Porsches are parked in the garage tonight and other than buying newer models I will never own another brand. I drive the shit out of them year round in good weather and bad, snow and worse, I drive them fast and hard, and nothing and I mean nothing compares.