When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Waterproofing the DSSD to deepdive?

blue_sphere

I remember sometime ago we had an actual deepsea diver post his experience with both the rep and the gen rolex deepsea. The rep ACTUALLY WORKED in pressures of 2000m! It was really really neat to see!

Does anyone know if the current HE valves still work? What mods should be done for a deepdive etc?

Also if you can find that thread... I think it was on repgeek... Let me know!

Does anyone know if the current HE valves still work? What mods should be done for a deepdive etc?

Also if you can find that thread... I think it was on repgeek... Let me know!

People with leaking He valves normally epoxy then permanently closed from inside the case.

If you are really going to dive with helium, remember to loosen your crown in the decompression chamber so your crystal does not pop out :)

Other than this, lubricate the seals and visually inspect the crystal to confirm it is seated fully and not crooked.

The points of failure on a dive watch are the crystal gasket, the crown seals and the case back seal. Check them :)

If you dive to 2000m I will personally buy you a brand new Deepsea :)

The reps have basically the same shape as their gen counterparts, but the tolerances on the gen parts are much higher, and that makes all the difference in terms of water resistance. Short of running epoxy along every exposed surface to seal it up, there is not much you can do. Then you have the issue of He not being released through a non-functioning He valve.

Horses for courses, buy a Seiko Monster and be done with it. Greatest dive watch ever :)

I was researching SD's deep in the archives here awhile back, and found a really good review from a member that did go deepsea diving with a pro crew. He took his SSD and it held up fine. His buddys were amazed.. and so was I reading that. Decompression and all, his rep held up fine. :)

Wow guys thanks for all the responses!

I know its been done because a member posted sometime ago with a V1 or 2 and went down something like 2000m WITH BOTH THE REP AND THE GEN!

The only difference is the rep instantly started to oxidize due to the pressure. The gen stayed true (probably the 904l steel).

But the rep didn't have any issues other than oxidation!

Does anyone know where I can find a gen or aftermarket HEV besides the bay?

+1 Jkay. Best suggestion would be to have someone fashion a plug that fits the HEV hole with the correct threads and seal it that way. You can always have this plug machined so it looks like the valve. A working Gen HEV will more likely run you the same if not more than the whole watch is worth, and you still have to work the case to fit it in. I think Freddy333 had a post with the HEV measurements.

Maybe Justin can machine something like that to fit that case.

E