When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What does "Bracelet Softened" actually refer to?

redwatch

Ok so we see this all the time:

List of mods..... bracelet softened. I know what they are referring to. Rep bracelets typically are quite sharp on the edges everywhere and definitely not gen like. What I'd like to know is, what is involved in softening the bracelet? Filing down the edges? Sanding down the edges? Putting down feathers on the edges?

Anyone have any good tutorials on how to soften the edges of a bracelet? I have some good tuts on lubing them etc, but I haven't been able to see one on how to soften it.

Thanks folks!

.....or you can take it to the next level. :Jumpy:

If a watch is a favorite companion then it's going to get worn a lot. So I've come up with some tricks to loosen it up some. I don't mean loose like falling-off-the-wrist loose, I mean loose like it's got some stretch to it.

I took brand new Yuki 7206 bracelet and worked it over to make it look and feel like it's 40 years old. Today I had that gen watch and Yuki bracelet in my Rolex AD getting the crown replaced and he totally believed it was a genuine vintage 7206. When I told him it was an aftermarket bracelet he refused to believe me.

Anyway the trick is to use an abrasive metal polishing paste like Flitz. You work it into the bracelet, getting it well down into all of the links. Then hold the ends of the bracelet in each hand and give it a twist along its length and flex all the links of the bracelet up and down pretty hard. Then mash more abrasive paste into the links and twist the other direction, and flex the links up and down a bunch more. Keep doing this, and you will introduce looseness in all of the link joints. When you are done it will look exactly like the bracelet is stretched.

Of course the abrasive paste will polish the outer surface of the bracelet while you work it so you need to add some character when you are done. Use your imagination. If you overdo it you can polish it again with the Flitz and you can "brush" it again with a 3M scrubbie pad. Don't forget to add some "age" to the clasp too.

It's either when you soften the edges to simulate wear, or when you soak the bracelet in stool softener dissolved in solution.

"Stool softener" now thats a new one :g: I guess It falls under the same principles as mineral/castrol oil.

DAM....now I have run to the bathroom.

Mi

Good advice...I have "softened" all my Oyster bracelets on my belly buttons..(Rolex, cause everyone got one) I used 600 grit wet sandpaper wrapped around a paint brush as well....then finish op the conditioning with grey 000 synthetic steel wool, it looks like Scotch Brite...then I rub in a lot of silicone lube and just work it. Be sure to brush the 000 with the grain of the brushed bracelet and then just keep after it...I often lie in bed and use my fingers to rub the edges as often as I can and sooner than later I break in the bracelet just fine.

Happy Repping,

Rob