When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Has anyone ever taken the Bezel off the GMT II ceramic?

the playful eyes

If so, would you please post some pictures so I can see the parts involved underneath the bezel? I'm missing a Nylon Ringer Fastener (is fitted inside the bezel ring) for my Gen GMT IIc and want to know if i can use the same part as the rep to fix mine (if present in the rep). Thanks a million!

I love this place. Can't wait for the review of the 3135 superclone. I'll have a heck of a field trip if that thing takes gen dial etc. Sorry for the tangent. :)

Edited by the playful eyes

They want me to do a full service just to replace that sily ring. Service is around $700ish if I remember correctly because they deemed the watch has been abused (they concluded that excessive force was used to cause the bezel to fall off... false) and need to "fix" the movement. The watch continues to keep perfect time. I shouldn't have said I knocked it again my 18 wheeler while I was moving crates and instead claim it fell out on its own. Should have kept my mouth shut... RSC can suck it. I'm going to find that silly nylon ring one way or another even if I have to put that watch away for a year or so. It's principlely F'ed up for them to demand that I need my watch full serviced for them to replace the ring.

For all you Rolex owners... If you ever want something replaced without them siphoning $ from your pockets then never say it broke because of hitting the watch on something otherwise they'll need you to do a full service to fix your minor concern.

Sorry for venting.

"(they concluded that excessive force was used to cause the bezel to fall off... false) and need to "fix" the movement."

You can bump into a wood door frame and knock a genuine rolex gmt/sub bezel off.

$700 'movement service' = move the winding rotor to one side so they can see the movement serial number and write down on the bill. Maybe ask around to find someone with a parts account and have them order the part.

No doubt rolex watch co's sorry attitude has given a huge boost to sales of high grade replica rolex watches.

Rolex USA recently tightened the reigns on independents within their service & parts network, so it is pretty unlikely that many would be willing to risk their account in order to sell a part to a retail customer. However, a good indy (with a Rolex parts account) should be able to replace the part without forcing you to pay for an overhaul (unless it is needed).

Freddy: I spoke to a few indy watchsmiths and they can't get the part because Rolex require they have the required tool/machine (I believe there account levels. The higher the level the more selection they can order and to level up require they own certain machines from rolex) and since the watch is pretty new, the watchsmiths don't have the Rolex Required tool and are not allow to order that specific part.

HikeUSA: Haha. I'll keep my Gen, but my collection of reps are ever growing! Love that pic btw. Hehe

jmb: By golly!!!! That never even crossed my mind. Thanks. I can mass produce these things and start selling. :clap2:

Edited by the playful eyes

Freddy: I spoke to a few indy watchsmiths and they can't get the part because Rolex require they have the required tool/machine (I believe there account levels. The higher the level the more selection they can order and to level up require they own certain machines from rolex) and since the watch is pretty new, the watchsmiths don't have the Rolex Required tool and are not allow to order that specific part.

In order to be accepted within the Rolex service network, a watchmaker must (regularly) pass a rigorous test of knowledge/experience & have the appropriate tools/environment required to repair Rolex watches. I have never heard of different levels of acceptance -- you either meet Rolex's standards (& get an account) or you do not. You might try some other ADs.

"...& have the appropriate tools/environment required to repair Rolex watches"

I think that's what I try to mean, but came out wrong with the whole leveling of account... The guys I spoke with didn't have the tools to deal with the ceramic bezel insert. Don't know why that would be required for ordering a part that has nothing to do with it. Oh well. Thanks for clarifying.