When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Deployment Buckle, Yay or Nay?

OceanView

I tried the deployment buckle on my recently acquired 253 and it feels awful.

Seems like it's way too big and the sharp edges tend to dig into my skin.

I'm sure for some it's not a big deal but on a small 6.75" wrist it feels too big.

Also, the part that attaches to the long strap does not open and is hard to insert the strap.

I'm going back to a tang buckle it seems.

The deployment buckle is quite an elegant addition to the strap. I cannot wear them as my wrists are to big, but you should not have a problem. Try filing down the sharp points or loosen the strap a bit.

I am not too sure about rep deployants, really. I've had a few and none of them felt comfortable for my very average size wrist. Both felt a little flimsy and I never felt safe wearing anything decent on them. Turned out to be for a good reason as after 4-5 times one buckle become quite loose and started to open 3-4 times a day. Trashed them both and never looked back. Tang is the way to go for me and I prefer the new style ones as pre-Vs are way too big and also cut into skin.

Depends on watch... for me anyway....

The good thing about a deployant is it maintains your strap in a good condition.... however if you are finding one uncomfortable then the more likely cause, whether big or small wrist is the sizing of the strap...

When I say that I am not referring to the way you wear it... but the length of the strap overall especially on the buckle side of the strap... having had a few straps made and experimenting with size/length you would be surprised what a difference the length of the buckle side can make on the way the deployant sits against your wrist... even 5mm!!

Do you mean $65 from the dealers? Or is someone selling it for that?

Cause then if its a dealer you got to add $15 or $30 for shipping generally!!

WoW! I should post mine for sale :)

Depends on watch... for me anyway....

The good thing about a deployant is it maintains your strap in a good condition.... however if you are finding one uncomfortable then the more likely cause, whether big or small wrist is the sizing of the strap...

When I say that I am not referring to the way you wear it... but the length of the strap overall especially on the buckle side of the strap... having had a few straps made and experimenting with size/length you would be surprised what a difference the length of the buckle side can make on the way the deployant sits against your wrist... even 5mm!!

How do you get a 5mm strap to attach to the buckle?

Seems like it's a really tight fit actually an impossible fit.

Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Mate.... I said length.... its the length of the buckle side or the shorter length of a strap that dictates how the deployant sits against your wrist.... even a 5mm difference (in length) can mean the deployant is digging into the side of your wrist rather than sitting directly under the watch (so to speak)

What you are referring to is completely different issue to what I was saying however some rep straps are notoriously short or in some cases dont allow you to use all of the holes to position the deployant...

Unlike gens the rep deployants all have spring bars to hold the thumbnail (ie piece you see when strap is closed with Panerai engraved on it) If you have a slightly thicker strap then rather than pulling it through the thumbnail part... just push the spring bar and release the thumbnail buckle ... the deployant then comes apart then place the strap into the thumbnail part and reattach the rest of the deployant using the spring bar locking it into place within the holes that are on either side of the thumbnail buckle... its just like replacing a bracelet or strap in the lugs of a watch..

If that dont make sense I can take some pics...

Pete, thanks for the clarification. I understand what you mean.

I will try the deployment buckle with a few straps coming in the next few weeks and hope that I can get a more comfortable fit.

I use deployment buckles on my Cartier watches and they are comfortable.

They are also smaller in size and have more rounded surfaces.

I like to switch around....although I prefer the typical Pam tang most of the time.

I do have a nice leather and rubber strap that use on the depolyant...and like Pete says...the deployant is easier on the strap.

But cant say one Is more comfortable than the other.

Mike