When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pre-V project <acronym title='Crown Guard'>CG</acronym> comparison...

projectologist

One man's passion can create some amazing objects that stand alone as a tribute to said passion.

OK, OK that was probably a little over the top for a CG, but it's one helluva CG that I've had the pleasure of fine-tuning the final shape of, and applying a proper brushed finish to. I hope that I have done it justice.

The straight wire lever pin (per gen) still needs to be cut to length, and the inner lever tip sized to properly engage the crown.

This is one of a small batch that I was fortunate to acquire. Will more be produced again in the near future?... I don't know for sure, but I bet somewhere a file on a thumb-drive is ready to go when the time is right again.

• Disclaimer... please do not email or send me any PM's inquiring where I got the CG. It really doesn't matter anyway as there are no more to be had. But take this post as evidence that an essentially 1:1 Pre-V CG can and has been produced and will hopefully be available again someday.

After studying Pre-V CG pics until my eyes crossed I realized that during the era they were manufactured, dimensions and tolerances varied quite a bit. Case-in-point is the amount of chamfer at the top of the hole for the lever pin. From barely noticeable to noticeably wide and all amounts in-between.

The same with the amount of lever tip length extending beyond the CG body.

Gen pics added (a little blurry from up-rezing, but should suffice for comparison).

cgcaa.jpg

pvcg05a.jpg

cgccc.jpg

pvcg03a.jpg

cgcbb.jpg

pvcg01a.jpg

cgcee.jpg

cgcdd.jpg

looks great...what was the process/tools used for the brushed finish?...

thanks for sharing...

Thanks. I used only one grit (3M 320 Wet/Dry) for all surfaces, including the lever. The sandpaper was trimmed into strips and mounted to paint stirring sticks with thin carpet tape. I used a friend's advice that all brushing should be in one direction only (never back and forth). I either drew the CG body across a stationary sanding strip or drew the strip across a carefully clamped CG. I took my time and made sure every stroke ran as parallel as possible with the surface length-wise.