When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DLC process Start-Finish PAM 212

Guest kroexist

Guest kroexist

I know that many of you have been wondering what a single watch goes through when gets send for a DLC treatment. There are many things that are mandatory for the proper completion of any DLC project. Therefore we decided to do an extensive pictorial, showing the process from within. Receiving the watch as a complete piece, taking it apart to its basic components, sanblasting, cleaning, DLC'ing it, putting it back together, testing it and some pose down photography ;)

I hope you enjoy the pictures that are about to follow and get the answers of the questions you may have...

First the strap gets separated from the watch itself and then separated from the clasp:

dsc04564d.jpg

dsc04571c.jpg

dsc04573a.jpg

After the strap got separated from the watch, the second step is to unscrew the <acronym title='Crown Guard'>CG</acronym> screws and take it away from the watch head

dsc04589x.jpg

dsc04591f.jpg

dsc04592kc.jpg

The next step is to brake the <acronym title='Crown Guard'>CG</acronym> apart, by taking the lever and pin off

dsc04517n.jpg

dsc04644x.jpg

The crown gets removed and separated from the stem next; as well as, getting the movement out

dsc04596k.jpg

dsc04605zg.jpg

dsc04608g.jpg

dsc04593ll.jpg

The chrono buttons are next to be separated from the case

dsc04504n.jpg

dsc04611q.jpg

dsc04614z.jpg

The domed mineral glass is next to be pressed out. Due to the glass shape we got a bit creative with the dies

dsc04628f.jpg

dsc04633q.jpg

dsc04635h.jpg

dsc04636yd.jpg

Since the watch has been taken apart already it is time to get it bead blasted. Please do not mind the color of my gloves ;)

dsc04532nr.jpg

dsc04545r.jpg

The next step is to get the watch parts bathed in ultrasonic bath. The procedure is absolutely mandatory as the glass beads as very small and get stuck on the watch case body.

dsc04659n.jpg

The next step is the pre-final step where the watch parts get dried out and then send to get DLC coated

dsc04665a.jpg

Here is a picture of the chamber where the magic happens and the watch parts get DLC coated

chamberv.jpg

Here is the final product in pencil lead color carrying some attitude :) The following images will show the process of getting the watch put together

dsc04854c.jpg

dsc04853a.jpg

dsc04860b.jpg

dsc04855o.jpg

dsc04862dn.jpg

dsc04869fb.jpg

dsc04867b.jpg

dsc04868w.jpg

dsc04873f.jpg

The next step is perform an accuracy check on a timograph and get it adjusted

dsc04872x.jpg

The final step is to perform a pressure test.

dsc04874o.jpg

dsc04875tj.jpg

...so here are the pics of the already completed DLC coated PAM 212. I hope you enjoyed the pictorial

dsc04876k.jpg

dsc04879ca.jpg

dsc04877h.jpg

Guest kroexist

Thank you all for the kind words. There have been several questions about pricing etc... I prefer to leave the thread clean without discussing any prices at all as the thread was done primarily for getting the members familiar with the process. I know that such thing has not been done until now; therefore, decided to get the pictorial together and share it with you.

There are 3 of us working on a single watch, as we are very strictly specialized in our field. The process is very time consuming and a single watch undergoes many procedures from different nature in order to achieve the final result, which BTW is always great.

I am really glad that people appreciate the time that we put into this to get the pictorial together...