When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help neede. Chanel clasp is broken:(

sul

Hi,

my girlfriend`s white ceramic Chanel clasp just broke, don`t know what to do, it is not possible to repair it probably? At least I don`t have any idea how to repair it.

Is there available some similar but more" robust" system what will fit also?

orig_26069957_66ch.jpg

Edited by sul

Unfortunately this is a common failure that seems to have no easy fix. At least not one that I have heard of. My wife has 2 J12s and I have been mentally preparing for this inevitable repair. I plan to make my own spring to replace the broken part. I figure with a strip of spring steel, a rivet and some patience I can make something passable.

As for a replacement I think due to the structure of the clasp and band it is unlikely that any other will fit. Only alternative would be to replace the whole band.

I hope someone else can chime in with better news.

At first hanks to all :)

I will try to find what our local watchsmith`s will tell, but unfortunately most of them in our country are "watchsmihts" who can change only batteries and glasses. Don`t know can they do anything reasonable. Watchmaker whoI used some time ago, he is retired.

If I can find material for that broken part, I can fix it by myself but this material has to be flexible , durable and thin.

I have to think from where I will find/ get it.

I am afraid that new bracelet is temporary solution, it will broke soon or later again.

That looks like a tough one...the metal piece broke off and thats going to be difficult to repair. Just a suggestion - can your girlfriend remove the watch with only one clasp undone? If so, you may want to permanently the close the broken side with a superglue....and just use the working clasp to take off and on.

Mine, the cabochon on the crown came off...sucks.

Another option, is to get a really nice white leather strap and fit that instead of the bracelet :) I did that with my wife's a few years back, fitting it to a bund strap, and it looked fantastic. Only issue was when the faux leather started to peel, and the white paint came off the case (might actually get her a full ceramic, one of these days :lol: ) but if you get a decent leather strap, it'll really look the business :good:

Hi

to ExtraExtra: yes she did try to put on bracelet only one half open, no good unfortunately.

to:TeeJay, yes I thought abut it also, but she like that ceramic bracelet, so no go this time with leather or plastic strap. If I cant do anything regarding repairin, this will be final solution though.

to:krpster: thanks, unfortunately in my country it can be hard to find such material but, my new idea is use for this repair pen holder`s/clip material, that small metal "thing" what you will use to hang pen on your pocket. Sry about "odd" explanation, english is not my first language:)

I just now have to find right pen for donor parts :)

I had this same problem with a Franck Muller Casablanca. I put a small pin through where the broken link hole and super glued it . This worked like a charm.Just find the right gauge pin and you will be good to go!

Watch material supply houses (at least in the USA) have a large selection of unsigned replacement 'butterfly' clasp assemblies. They might not match what is on the watch exactly but they will make the watch wearable and are usually higher quality than what comes on replica watches. I have replaced dozens of these clasps over the years with good results.

They are ordered by:

Overall length.

Overall width of the assembly.

Width of the blades not counting push buttons.

Width in mm of the ends where the clasp attaches to the bracelet.

Friction latch models without pushbuttons are also available.

On ceramic bracelets, you have to be very careful when r/r the pins that hold the clasp to the bracelet. If you need to drive the pins out...place the metal part of the bracelet on something solid so it will not break away from the bracelet.

To see some examples, go to startimesupply.com.

Click on watch bands.

Go to band clasps.

Click on deployant

They cost $10 or $12 each.

Ehhhh... I just checked a couple of boxes that I thought the clasp might be in; all I I have are a complete bracelet for a 38mm, and a complete back up bracelet for a 33mm (which I can't part with as it's a spare for my wife's watch).

I'll keep looking, but I'm afraid I may have thrown the old clasp out (it had a cracked link if I recall correct).

:(

Ehhhh... I just checked a couple of boxes that I thought the clasp might be in; all I I have are a complete bracelet for a 38mm, and a complete back up bracelet for a 33mm (which I can't part with as it's a spare for my wife's watch).

I'll keep looking, but I'm afraid I may have thrown the old clasp out (it had a cracked link if I recall correct).

:(

Ok , don`t worry if you don`t find it :) , I will check then automatico link`s.

I think I can repair it but how nice result will be...