When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Buying pearls from China?

Physher007

You know, I had a tough time finding this link again since I deleted it from my email. I had to search "Groupon pearl necklace"... Some interesting pics came up in my search ;-)

I think you have to subscribe to Groupon so they send you emails.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

95% of the pearls sold in the World are cultured pearls ... there is almost no such thing anymore as a pearl necklace made from wild oysters, gathered by divers .. even Mikimoto pearls from Japan are cultured.

Just make sure that the clasp is good quality .. nothing ruins the illusion of an expensive looking necklace faster than a piece of crap clasp.

The pearls in the Groupon deal are mixed sizes and mildly bumpy in shape ... some people like that, tho ... my wife has almost the same necklace and without examining it in your hands, you could not tell they are bumpy.

Don't expect this inexpensive "real" pearl necklace to be as perfectly shaped as a set of perfectly round plastic costume pearls.

thanks for the info. Any thoughts on gemstones? I am looking at getting a sapphire pendant perhaps

Although I would recommend caution when buying some items from them (they are hit or miss) my wife loves the 500 carat Citrine necklace i got for her from Stauer catalog company.

I paid 150, I think, but they have it on black Friday weekend Special for 49 I believe.

http://www.stauer.com/itemd.asp?ItemNo=21062&ad=36833