When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replacement crystal (acylic) for GMT?

duke1973

Where can a replacement acrylic crystal be found for a GMT vintage that was bought from WBK time?

I put it on the first day I got it and smacked a countertop with it and BAM the crystal fell out and is chipped/cracked with a small piece missing from the inside rim where it presses into the case.

The crystal is really a POS, very thin (1mm) and flimsy. The watch was only $135 w/Asian 21j movement so I wasn't expecting it to be perfect. But I was disappointed to see how crappy the crystal was when it came out! There is obviously NO WAY to waterproof one of these watches due to the crystal construction. It simple pushes into a groove and can be rotated easily just by turning it with your fingers.

Any advice? Or should I just part it out?

I'm away from home ATM or I would post pics of the damage. I will when I get home tomm.

Thanks for any help....

You'll have to measure the ID and OD of the old crystal and see what's out there to replace it. Sternkreuz and G&S are good suppliers. It might even match up to something from Clarks. The tropic-38 domed crystal is a replacement for the gen cyclops piece ... if it fit, that's the route I'd take. Gorgeous combination. I think Watchbitz can get these replacement crystals? Dunno.......

Yes, the Cyclops 116 or the Tropic 38 are the two replacement crystals for the 1675. One is the standard, the other not so much...

Similarly, the replacement crystal for the 1680 is usually the Cyclops 127, but a Tropic 39 can also fit.

.........and the Tropic 19 for the 1680.

For the Tropic 38, good luck. I've been looking for almost 10 years.

That's right, cyclops and tophats aren't my cup of tea. Check out the look you get when you trim down a Tropic-39 and fit it to a Snowflake. :wub: I could take it down maybe one more mm to get it just right.

post-32-0-36967000-1322765890.jpg

6542 = Tropic115

1675/16750 = Tropic116

Many otherwise credible sellers will indicate the same xtal for all vintage GMTs, but that is not correct. Because it is powered by a different movement & dial, the date window on the '42 is slightly shifted, horizontally, versus later GMTs. Using the wrong xtal will result in your cyclops being slightly askew of the date window.

Not sure about aftermarket, but you can often find gen GMT xtals on ebay. Only purchase from established Rolex sellers (you can always check references here) & xpect to pay about $225-$300.

The thickness of the original crystal that came on my GMT is SO thin! Are the clark replacements this thin also? The crystal was so flimsy and thin (like less than a mm I'd guess) that I can actually bend, twist, break it with my index finger and thumb fairly easily. That's why I said I didn't think this rep GMT could be made watertight. If the crystal is that easily contorted IMO it wouldn't stand much pressure before cracking/flooding the watch.

I don't think it should have been that thin. I think the original WR rating for the gen was 100m, so it would be as thick as a 1016 Tropic 22 crystal.

Clarks should be a good bet. Be sure to measure OD and ID of the rehaut/retaining ring and make sure the Clarks fits. It may take some manual adjustment to get it to fit just right.