When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona 16520 or 116520?

ahchard

While the 16520 is a little bit more expensive, I don't think there will be a winner investment wise between those two in the long run. Both were/are incredibly successful models and therefore both are readily available on the second hand market. What makes 6263/6265s so expensive is the mere fact that these weren't really popular in their days and there aren't too many around (though you shouldn't have real problems finding one as well).

I personally would go with a 116520 simply because I don't like what Rolex did to Zenith's El Primero movement (they reduced the beat rate for example) and the 4130 is a true in-house caliber with an interesting seconds at six feature. With what you save compared to the older model you could then buy a second hand El Primero chronograph and that way have two outstanding movements in your collection.

Based on current values, the 16520 is likely going to be the better investment over time.

Generally, if a given model is collectible, older is better. In this case, the 16520 is also a bit less blingy, which, in today's market at least, also tips things in its favor.

I fully agree, I prefer the 16520 too for investments reasons, and because of the 116520 dial and bracelet.

The 116520 bracelet is seriously "bling bling" with it's glossy middle links. Ok, I'm a vintage lover, and I do not like all the currents models. But why a classy bracelet on a "sport" watch ?

It's the same with the current GMT Master... Why glossy middle links ?

And I found the 116520 dial a little less detailed than the 16520 dial. Just look at the markers, they look "IMHO" fat on the 116520 dial.

You also can take a look at the bezel, seems (or is ?) much larger on the 116520.

Oh, and so much Gay-tonas declinations of this model...

At this point, it's all about personal appreciation of the watches... For me, I prefer smaller and more "purified" watches (62XX)...

The only reason that makes me like the 116520 anyways is it's in-house 4130 caliber, witch is... very very good !

As usual, it's just my 2 cents ;)

R.

You guys think a 16520 feels light and cheap compared to a 116520 would flip out if you handled a 62xx Daytona.. especially with a folded bracelet, although the rivited ones ain't much better.