When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My fathers watch. and a reach out to you for domed crystals inspiration

miagi

Hi guys.

Ever since i got into watches I've been fascinated by domed crystals. There's something really appealing in that distorted dial when seen from an angle. The watch that started it all for me was my fathers 1960's Certina Waterking. (i cant photograph at all, so to pay real tribute to it im posting a picture of the same model that i found on the internet.)

Certina-waterking.jpg

I found it stowed away in a droor at my parents house. He had not used it for almost 15years, and said I could have it if I wanted it. I have good memories of my childhood when seeing this watch, and wanted my father to have it even though he had retired it long ago, and bought a “no hassle 10dollar gold timex”. I brought it down to a local watchsmith and had it serviced and put on a nice new strap and gave it back to him. I could se he was really moved by it and his timex havent seen light ever since.

Although not a real “heritage” piece like a rolex or a patek, It really means a lot to me. I believe they had inhouse movements and i just think its supercool when the silvery dial catch the light. The Domed plexi adds a nice feature with a slight distortion of the dial.

This post has a double purpose, It pays honor to my fathers watch, and as the holidays is coming up i would like to reach out to the community for inspiration on a domed crystal/plexi watch. Obviously i cant go on ebay and buy a certina waterking of my own as it would never be the same, but if you have any input on watches gen or rep that would be really appreciated. Im looking for some of the same features. I think a silver/champagne dial would be really nice.

The ultimate watch would be a glashutte senator sixties, but ive had no luck with the trusted dealers having them anymore and the gen is way out of my budget.

I'll post some pictures to start it off with watches that i think is really cool, and hopefully some of you have some ideas/input that i havent thought of.

Heres some pictures that ive found

SenatorSixties01.jpg

The senator sixties is the ultimate option. Pure class

corumbubble.png

The mother of all superdomes is (post those panerai instruments and rolex deeeeeeeeeep diver) is the Corum Bubble.

P1030125.jpg

A supernice seiko. Anyone know which model? I might have to look closer into this one. if it comes in silver dial i'll try to get one. Real classy

DSC_0241.jpg

cant go around rolex when talking about domes. They are beautiful all of them!look at that sweet distortion. But I'm suffering under all the stigma people i know/meet have to rolex as “oh Rolex. It must be a fake” -although i tell people i know that some of my watches is replicas, and its a hobby of mine (some have bought from TD and are members here), i don't want that stigma automaticly hang over it. So sadly i hold my rolexes on a minimum. (for now)

Thank you for reading, and i hope some of you have some input gen/rep to add and we'll get going a domed watches topic.

post pictures of your own or pictures of watches you know, all brands welcome and appreciated :drinks:

Cheers Miagi/ Sig.

That's a beautiful Certina! Does it have the "turtle" caseback? :notworthy: I've had my eye out for one like that with an orange dial for quite some time.

I might have something for you. I bought a LeJour 990 Superman a few years ago because it has the classic domed crystal and the bezel insert is clear bakelite with back printing. It's got a lot of "Blancpain Fifty Fathoms" look about it. Since I took these pictures I put on a new dial and hands, they're much more distinct, much like an Omega Seamaster 300. Utterly cool.

I'll be happy to send it to you if you'd like. It's not your dad's watch but it's nice and it's a step toward a "domed watch" collection. :tu: Just PM me your address.

superman2.jpg

superman4.jpg

Thank you for replying guys. Great watches ! The caseback of the certina only have notches for caseopening tools. unfortunately no turtle. The LeJour looks supercool and thats an awesome gesture of you to offer it, but i must insist to paying for it. - this comunity and its members never ceases to amaze me!

.... just want to correct you on one thing - that timepiece IS a real heritage piece - brand is nothing compared to 'actual' history

:)

and for what it's worth, I think that Glashutte dial is an absolute icon of the 50's and 60's "machine age" - those numbers are wonderful. Straight out of Madmen

....oh, and stunning picture you took mate - the composition is lovely and the grouping of items really thoughtfully done! Technical question - Did you desaturate the image or are all elements basically shades of grey?

Edited by seriph

That is a stunning watch! And I love the mesh band you put on it! Really makes it pop IMHO. Did you do anything else to the watch at all?

and for what it's worth, I think that Glashutte dial is an absolute icon of the 50's and 60's "machine age" - those numbers are wonderful. Straight out of Madmen

....oh, and stunning picture you took mate - the composition is lovely and the grouping of items really thoughtfully done!

thank you for your replies guys

-I have to clarify that the picture of the certina is not taken by me or of my fathers watch, its a picture i found on the internet of the very same model. As i cant photograph at all i wanted a picture that gave justice to the beauty of the timepiece, and this was the nicest i found. I agree that the mesh bracelet really makes it pop, and it gave me a good idea for a nice present for my dad. - as the one he has is on a black leather strap.

-All i had to do with the watch was to have it properly serviced and put on a new leather strap. i left the case untouched as it had a nice patina and was in great shape. the crystal was clear and in good condition also.

Its a shame that the glashutte isnt properly rep'ed as its such a classy watch.

I agree that the mesh bracelet really makes it pop, and it gave me a good idea for a nice present for my dad. - as the one he has is on a black leather strap.

I think that would be a great gift for your dad. That mesh bracelet looks so good on it. I might try one on my grandfathers bulova as well just to give it a different look ;)

BTW I love old gens (being one myself!) - Bogey wore Longines - Einstein, the same - love them ... I have been looking for bits OR entire LONGINES watches from that period so I can build replicas of these beauties (they are beautiful to me anyway!)

love the history they represent.

BogeysLongines.jpgL16_1000.jpgL19_1000.jpg

L21_1000.jpg

EinsteinLonginesAntiq_LRG-1.jpgeinstein-longines.jpg

albert_einsteins2.jpg

Edited by seriph

those are some really nice looking longines!

i found this on ebay, its in pretty worn condition, and need some serious tlc and work, but its a nice start auction here

there was a rep of the glashutte up until recently. it was quite inaccurate (42mm instead of 39mm diameter) but it was really classy looking nonetheless - and cheap! I tried buying one from the trusted dealers about two months ago, but they have stopped making them. hopefully there will be a new rep of it in the future. it is the ultimate dress watch imho.

those are some really nice looking longines!

i found this on ebay, its in pretty worn condition, and need some serious tlc and work, but its a nice start auction here

Yeah I saw that one too thanks ... just not the same as either of the ones I am hunting for - the case size and shape is off and the 'six' isn't there on the dial etc. The hunt continues!

:D :D :D

I have this one here that was given to me by a mate's brother ... he has some kind of watch site our of Melbourne that deals in high-end stuff ... anyway, if I decide to go the Franken route and can find hands, this one may be a decent start for the Einstein one.

watch1.jpgwatch2.jpg

Edited by seriph

That Seiko looks extremely nice... anyone knows the model?

i did some searching and found the modelnumber; seiko sarb029, its discontinued, but one might find one NOS or used on ebay. it has the 6r15 movement which i believe is a good one. comes in different models too SARB027 for silver dial. havent found it on the bay as of now. retail was about 500-600 usd i think.

Regarding availability of the Glashutte rep

Dear friend,

sorry that this watch is out of stock .

and we are not sure when it will in stock.

thanks

http://www.timeshops.net Sales E-MAIL: sales@timeshops.net

Have a nice day !

Best Regards

Lois