When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Spitfire Mark XVI

Adeodatus

A 3-handed watch like this one .. hours, minutes, seconds .. can have any one of a number of movements in it from quartz, to piece of crap Chinese, to pure genuine Swiss .. it all depends on what you are willing to pay for the added cost of a good movement.

spring powered movements in replica watches fall into three or four catagories

1 - awful half-assed Chinese movement normally called "WTF?!"

2 - Chinese copies of quality Japanese movement, normally called A21j types

3 - Chinese copies of Swiss movements normally called Asia Clone types

4 - Real Swiss movements normally called Swiss ETA

There are new ultra-realistic Chinese Rolex clone movements now too .. but they are so new, no one knows the quality.

So ... number one is always a bad idea. Number two can be OK if you are lucky. Number 3 is pretty darn good, and number four is best.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information. Exactly what a rep-noob like myself needs. I'm looking at a watch with Asian 2892 automatic movement, so my guess is that it falls under the third category. Being a detail and accuracy aficionado, the replication accuracy and precision is an important aspect of the watch for me, so I'm prepared to pay for them. I'd like to have a good out of the box rep, with a decent movement, but a great dial, AR, etc as a start and maybe even upgrade it later.

Please do let us know how it looks in the flesh, post a few pics when you get it. I'm very interested to know how these turn out, there has been a few updates to the mark xvi's of late such as AR and case improvements and it looks like they are approaching very good replication finally. The black is more focused on but it would be interesting to know how they dealt with the dial on the silver one above as it is a little more complex.

The movement should be fine btw the 2892 asian eta clone is a pretty reliable movement, it's usually a seagull ST18 and is a direct clone of the eta2892 and are great usually out of the box, for extra reliability, if serviced it should be equally as reliable as any swiss 2892 which has a track record as a fantastic movement.

• Like 1

Please do let us know how it looks in the flesh, post a few pics when you get it. I'm very interested to know how these turn out, there has been a few updates to the mark xvi's of late such as AR and case improvements and it looks like they are approaching very good replication finally. The black is more focused on but it would be interesting to know how they dealt with the dial on the silver one above as it is a little more complex.

The movement should be fine btw the 2892 asian eta clone is a pretty reliable movement, it's usually a seagull ST18 and is a direct clone of the eta2892 and are great usually out of the box, for extra reliability, if serviced it should be equally as reliable as any swiss 2892 which has a track record as a fantastic movement.

Absolutely. I hope I'll be able to get a gen as well for a full side by side review.

For sure, I will follow carefully this post. This watch is in the top 5 of my wishlist.

As it is just a "simple" three hands, I don't worry for the movement. Real ETA or Asian clone, I'm fully confindent it will work. But I'm very curious to see the actual quality level of finishing. With such a dial, that's the point that makes the difference in my opinion. Beautiful design, but if quality is not top of the top, for my eyes it would be like reading "fake" in bold red letters in the middle of the dial...

Paul

Yep will be watching this thread, alot of interest in these atm.

Theres a thread over on rwi ......http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/mark-xvi-rep-91293.html?p=901892#post901892

that shows some nice dealer qc shots. It looks very good, lume is spectacular, minor issues, dial print/date font look a little thin but can't confirm until the reps appear in the flesh, either way it's very close.

Edited by cougar1

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful pic, and the watch seems to be really nice ! I hope you'll soon give us additional details.

As said before, this watch in in my wish list and I wonder how is the dial. My personal opinion is that I can accept a small difference with the gen, like exact size or font of the date, or this kind of stuff. Nobody will never notice it. But the important point is the finishing of the dial. If it looks cheap, everybody will guess it's a fake with no need to compare with a gen.

So, when you have the watch in hand, what is the global feeling ?

Paul