When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do I remove the pearl from it's pod?

danielv2000

Remove the insert from the bezel, then push out the old pearl from the back with a needle or pencil. Or just do like I do and bash it against something and smash it to pieces as you wear it. :bye2:

Use a small amount of glue to hold the new pearl in place, if it gets on the inner/hidden face of the insert wipe it off before you snap the insert into the bezel again.

Be careful and patient... a good fitting pearl can be a BEAR to fit into its hole square and seated.

Nanuq, thanks, The pod in question did not have any holes in the back! I patiently scrubbed the old pearl out using nail polish remover, heat and a needle!.

Once i was done, i realized that my new pearl did not fit in the pod so I just put it straight into the hole and glued it there. I think the hole is too big but it will do for now until i get a my new insert.

Interesting.... verrrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting. :g:

Bear in mind the hole diameters are different for vintage vs. contemporary pearls. A vintage hole is a teeny pathetic little thing, and I could see a vintage pearl nearly falling through a contemporary hole.

Post a picture of what you are doing, I think something is getting lost in the translation. It sounds like you are wanting to remove the lume from a metal "surround" and that would account for there not being a "hole" as the metal pearl's shell is a cup. Very interesting if you were able to glue in a vintage pearl "dot" into the cup! Again, pics are needed...

Post a picture of what you are doing, I think something is getting lost in the translation. It sounds like you are wanting to remove the lume from a metal "surround" and that would account for there not being a "hole" as the metal pearl's shell is a cup. Very interesting if you were able to glue in a vintage pearl "dot" into the cup! Again, pics are needed...

i will take a picture tonight. What I was trying to do was take the metal surround or cup from a modern Seadweller and use that to hold a vintage pearl for a 1665 vintage sea dweller.

The hole on the 1665 insert seems too big when I compare to other inserts of 1665s I own. I think it was deliberately made that way or could be an insert from another watch. The metal surrounf of the 16600 fit in the hole but could not accommodate the pearl. The vintage pearl is shaped like a cone on the underside.

I decided to stick the pearl directly in the hole of the insert without any metal surrounds. I had to place it just right or else it could have fallen through!