When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Pile Of Questions About Omega Po Strap Options

mezzanine

I've been trying to figure this out, but I'm hoping someone can fill me in. I am interested in buying a 42.5mm Planet Ocean (probably orange) from one of our dealers. I've been tempted to give Wo-Mart a whirl, but have heard some questionable things about him. Silix seems to have a solid deal going on for their Omega PO as well, so maybe I will go with them. Suggestions on that?

Anyways, the big thing I'm curious to find out, is whether I can swap the standard bracelet that comes on the rep for a rubber bracelet. I've read that there a problem (?) with using a leather strap on the PO. My understanding is that there is too much space between the lugs and the case. Would this apply to the rubber strap that is also available with the watch?

None of the models I want seem to come stock with the rubber strap. That has left with me with the need to source a strap through other means. I also would like to have the bracelet as well, so that I could switch things up if I wanted to. Therefore I'm trying to source out other means of getting a rubber strap (black) that does not include Ofrei or paying close to 200 bucks on Ebay for a genuine.

This is what I've come up with:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OMEGA-SEAMASTER-RUBBER...1QQcmdZViewItem

It doesn't look very high quality, and the deployment clasp is not exactly inpiring, both in terms of it's likely future reliability, but also due to the lack of 'genuine' markings.

Is there an alternative, perhaps through our rep dealers that do carry black rubber straps for other Planet Ocean models, and then just buying those individually?

Problem is, most of the PO's that come with rubber straps are 45mm models, and those conceivably have the 22mm lugs...which wouldn't fit on the 20mm lugs of the 42.5mm PO. Of course, nothing is ever that simple, and I've read also that the 45mm PO's have been using 20mm lugs up until recently.

Anyone want to sell me an authentic or even replica rubber strap that they're not using for cheap?

Provided that's even possible, of course- as I'm still not yet clear on the issue of swapping bracelets for straps. While we're at...what do you guys think of this model that Wo-Mart is offering:

http://www.wo-mart.com/product_info.php?cP...roducts_id=1208

I really like the brown gator (?) with the black dialed version...but I can't help but question whether Wo-Mart's Gator strap quality would be up to Joshua's strap quality...which actually looks to be quite good. I'm not sure if I'm going to go with the brown leather/black dialed version as I kinda want this to fill my 'sports watch' element of my (future) collection.

1)I've got a Tag Link Chrono (blue dial after much vascillation between Blue vs. Grey), and with this I'm thinking I've got the 'sophisticated/sporty/mainstream' genre covered. :cool2:

2) With the PO, provided I got a black rubber strap for the Orange bezelled version- I'd have the pure sports watch covered. I sail, so I feel like I've got to have an Omega for the collection somehow, and this would fit that ideal. :boat:

3) That would leave me some time to prep up for my ascent into Panerai's...whereby I would get my classy watch (111h), and could let my leather fetish run absolutely wild. It's the leather band on that PO I linked to that has made me put things in question. Originally I'd been looking for the black leather strap with orange stitching, but I've been hearing mixed reports on those. Bah, there goes the OCD again!! :pimp:

Edited by mezzanine

If you want the double-ridged rubber strap you linked, it is $15 here. I have no idea if it is any good though.

I think it will still leave a gap as it does not have curved ends.

I have a black 42 PO on rubber - buying the rubber spec and swapping out to bracelet is fine I guess (although not ideal) but not the other way round as current rubber straps (still only for 20mm lug width) have a little metal notch that needs to seat into a corresponding hole between the lugs, which keeps it seated tight to the case.

I am waiting for a decent 45 PO (the chrono) with 22mm lugs and the corresponding black rubber strap :pray:

Sorry, I *maybe* had a little too much to drink when I posted that last night. What I was asking was whether it worked on the 42.5mm Omega PO's to swap out the bracelet for a rubber strap. I know that there was a problem with the 45mm ones because of the incorrect lug size- but the 20mm lug size of the smaller planet oceans caused me to believe it would be no problem.

Unforunately, I then read some ambiguous informtion suggesting that it was possible that even the 42mm PO's couldn't have their bracelets swapped for rubber straps because of incorrect positioning of holes in their casings or something?

Anyways, my question was two-fold:

1) Can the 42.5mm PO have it's bracelet swapped for a rubber strap without there being a gap or fit issue with the strap?

2) Is there a place to get such a strap that does not require me to buy the genuine or to buy some crappy variation- meaning is there something in the middle?

It sounds like Silix and Josh might have decent rep straps, but I *think* they're only for the 45mm model.

At the risk of overloading with questions again, why do you guys want the 45mm version? Traditionally it's been poorer, but even if that's been rectified, it would seem like it would be a little big. I guess that's only my take, though, coming from someone with smaller wrists and who does not yet own a panerai.

At the risk of overloading with questions again, why do you guys want the 45mm version? Traditionally it's been poorer, but even if that's been rectified, it would seem like it would be a little big. I guess that's only my take, though, coming from someone with smaller wrists and who does not yet own a panerai.

No problem asking first of all, that's what this place is all about.

No matter what you've heard, size IS a big deal :lol:. Seriously, your PAM naivety means you haven't yet experienced just how a couple of mms can make such a difference. Take yourself along to an Omega AD and try both sizes on, then you'll see what the deal is, girly wrist or not :p. It's one of those red pill/blue pill things, there ain't no going back ;)

The feedback is much appreciated.

I wish that there was a 42.5mm PO that came stock with the rubber strap. I haven't been able to find one that does on any of our dealer sites. So it's not even just a matter of deciding to go with the rubber version, and settling it that way- there's no rubber version available in 42.5, and even if I could buy an aftermarket strap, it appears that wouldn't be an option anyways, due to the gap between the case and the lugs(?).

The issue of the case size is one that I am not clear on. If you guys had a 6.5 inch wrist, you would seriously still go for a 45mm PO?

I like the appeal of the bigger watch, but I can't help but wonder if it's only 'reasonable' for someone who has atleast a 7 inch wrist. Part of it seems to depend on 'how' I measure my wrist- because if I measure it one way, I get 6.7, if I measure trying to absolutely get the smallest measurement, I can get 6.5.

God, I never realized I had such girl-wrists!!

*edited to include:

I just had the image in my mind of those african tribal cultures where people will wear those neck rings to elongate their necks and those freaky earrings that drag down their earlobes, and I started to wonder about the socio-anthropological phenomenon of watch size among our members.

Edited by mezzanine

don't measure your wrist, this can be misleading, try the watch on as the dial size and see how it matches the size of your hands, not only wrists, large hands call for larger watch, totally visual thing, one must try it on to tell. I got the 42.5 version and it seems OK, but for my large hands/wrists the 45 looks better, too bad I can't get a decent rep of that (main problem is gap in the first link)

I was under the understanding that the OEM rubber strap would fit no problems. I remeber reading a post by CWAI somehwere saying that this was no problem and that he had actually done it.

I'd like to know as well.

The OEM is $$$ :bangin:

<< He's why!

:lol:

No kidding.

Believe it or not, I'm not as sure which PO rep I like best anymore. At first it was a total gimme that it was the orange bezel version, but after seeing the black bezel on black rubber, I'm not so sure anymore. The black on black looks very sharp.

The one constant in all of this is that I'm pretty sure that I want a rubber strap version of whichever watch I decide on. The one possible exception is the black bezel, brown aligator leather strap version which I find quite sharp as well. Of course, if I'm going to go black bezel, I might as well go full-Bond and go with the rubber.

For the people that are going to go black bezel, black rubber strap- are you planning going with orange numbers or not? I guess that would be less authentic to the Bond watch.

The whole size issue is eating away at me. I don't have an AD that is readily accessible in the area that would have the watches for an actual comparison, and intuitive it seems like the 45mm would be too big- but I understand what some are saying with regard to hand size and all that.

Sorry to be bumping this thread-

I've been looking at Paul's site, and think I *might* be closer to having a way to solve my dilemma, but I want to see if it is simply a case of wishful thinking. Just to refresh, I'm trying to find a way to get a black rubber strap on a 4/5th generation orange PO.

I noticed that Paul's got 45mm PO's with rubber straps. However, he appears to have 45mm PO's with and without the correct 22mm lugs. The 22mm lug versions do not come with a rubber strap. Am I correct that Paul has two separate versions of the 45mm PO on his site, one with the correct lugs, and one with the 20mm incorrect lugs?

If so, would it be possible to have the same rubber straps that are on the incorrect 45mm PO's switched onto the 42.5mm Orange PO that I am interested in buying?

Are the cases different, in terms of where the hole is drilled for the bracelet/rubber band attachment, depending on whether the case is originally intended to be used with a bracelet or a rubber strap?

If not, then it shouldn't be a problem to do the swap, should it?

Am I forgetting something here that we've already established?

Hi,

I have a 42mm cheapo green bezel PO from WatchSilix.

The bracelet fits into the lugs like a Rolex, there is a slot between the lugs.

Consequently the end-links have no "ears" to hold them in place, I beleive

the rubber strap for these models also fits in to the slots between the lugs.

Later and better versions do not have the rolex-u-like arrangement and the

end links of the bracelet have ears. These versions are the one you want.

/mds.