When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Planet Ocean Stem/Crown Problem?

vandal.tbh

Hi everyone. I am a first time rep watch buyer. I ordered the 42mm Omega Planet Ocean Ultimate version from one of the more popular trusted sellers on this site. So far his communication has been quick and extremely helpful.

My watch arrived very quickly, and when I opened it up it looked beautiful. However, when I tried to set the date and time, I found a serious problem.

The best way I can describe it is that the stem that connects the crown to the movement is too short. When I unscrew the crown and pull it out, there is only one click and that first click adjusts the time. Pressing one click back in will adjust the date, but it's also now riding on the threads of the case and tries to screw back in. I can hold the crown from screwing back into the case with my fingernails while I'm setting the date, but then when I do try to screw it back in, it still adjusts the date 1 or 2 more days while it's being screwed in. And, because the stem is too short there's no way to manually wind this watch with the crown. I just emailed the seller, and am waiting on a reply.

I feel like I've read about something similar on this forum, but now I can't seem to find anything with a search. Has anyone seen or heard of this kind of problem? Is there an easy fix, or do I need to send it back?

My seller has an outstanding reputation on this forum and I have no doubt he will take care of this problem. It just seems like something that should have been found during QC.

I've been so excited about getting this watch and now it will be weeks or months to get the watch back. I was going to order two more watches tonight, but now I feel like I need to either wait to see how this is resolved, or order from another seller.

Thanks for any inputs or advice!

Does sound like the stem is too short, should've really been an issue that was found on QC. There are options, such as gen mod (maybe best in terms of long run solutions) or just replace stem with longer one, easy enough mod, i'm sure there was a big pictorial thread on how to do this somewhere on here, I'll try find it in a bit...it may have been on repgeek though. On the other hand, you can't really do any mods if you want to send it back to the dealer!

Can't find the pictorial offhand but should be an easy fix, if you are not confident opening the caseback and removing the stem then you may be better off bringing the watch to a local watchsmith to do it, won't cost much.

You will need something like one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-watch-stem-ETA-movements-2824-2-2834-2-2836-2-/270689357446?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_WatchAccessories_SpareParts_SM&hash=item3f0657ce86&clk_rvr_id=306417354163

Plenty of threads showin how to remove stem to start with, you will need to hold stem lengthways with a pliers and unscrew the crown from stem to release crown. Cut the new stem a couple of mm longer than the old and reattach crown, may need some glue in there, and replace stem in watch. Voila, as said bring it to a watch maker if you can. Returning to dealer will take time to sort out, upto yourself. I wouldn't get too down-heartened, these things happen with reps at times, it's a good idea to get into some basic modding practise on a couple of really cheap reps for occasions like this.

You might also just try unscrewing the stem and put a small dap of 2 part epoxy on it and then don't screw it all the way into the crown. Leave it overnight and it should work. I've done it before and it worked fine until I could replace it with the proper length. I don't know about it being a long term fix. It may work for days or maybe for years.

You might also just try unscrewing the stem and put a small dap of 2 part epoxy on it and then don't screw it all the way into the crown. Leave it overnight and it should work. I've done it before and it worked fine until I could replace it with the proper length. I don't know about it being a long term fix. It may work for days or maybe for years.

Good idea kbh, never thought of that :)

Seller got back to me and asked me to send it back so he could take care of it.

I tried to pull it out again, and without a whole lot of force, the whole crown/stem assembly came right out of the case! I pushed it back in but now it goes in and out of the case without doing anything. I'm just sending it back. It's the Swiss ETA movement, and I think it should have worked right out of the box.

Thanks for all the replies though, I'll let you guys know about the seller once he takes care of it. So far he's been very engaged with me on this problem.

I have no idea. I just hope it's a quick easy fix.

This was my very first rep purchase and I'll admit that so far, I'm not that inspired. Reading the forum, I'm sure my case is the exception but it still sucks...

I gotta say your avatar is disturbing - I feel like that person is going to jump through my screen and choke me :). Maybe I need to lay off the acid.

hi buddy, yeah I would send it back. I ended up taking my watch apart when I had the same problem and at the time it was one of my first reps,and wished I had just returned it.i did end up fixing it in the end so It turned out ok.but it's not worth trying to fix if your not confident.

I you ever need any help buddy shoot me a pm .

Cheers

Ryan

I gotta say your avatar is disturbing - I feel like that person is going to jump through my screen and choke me :). Maybe I need to lay off the acid.

Haha, yea that picture is deceiving. I'm in the military, so normally I'm very clean cut. But I went on leave for a month and grew out my goatee. Then after a night of drinking, I took a photo of myself in the mirror. The next day I ran the photo through some photo editing software, and bam...I look like a serial killer convict. And of course, that's my new avatar.

hi buddy, yeah I would send it back. I ended up taking my watch apart when I had the same problem and at the time it was one of my first reps,and wished I had just returned it.i did end up fixing it in the end so It turned out ok.but it's not worth trying to fix if your not confident.

I you ever need any help buddy shoot me a pm .

Cheers

Ryan

Ryan, thanks man. I saw your threads and actually thought about trying to tear my watch apart. But I paid a lot of money for a rep with a swiss eta from a trusted seller here, and I thought the thing should at the very least work out of the box. I don't disillusion myself into thinking this will run reliably for years and years, but 5 minutes would be nice. The seller has been very responsive so far, but it still sucks that I wont have the watch I wanted for a while. The thing that really upsets me is that the watch was absolutely beautiful from the outside. I hated having to send it back, but I have to be able to set the time! Unfortunately, this was my first rep purchase, so I'm pretty disappointed. But I keep telling myself it was a fluke.

But thanks for your very well written and thorough tutorials on what you did to fix your watch. I don't doubt that someday I'll be using them to fix one of mine!

Probably a keyless works issue, like kbh said above, possibly caused by pressing a little too hard on the stem release button. Not sure if the issue was there beforehand, as the stem would not have stayed in at any stage if the keyless works were shot. At this stage, it'll probably have to go back, unless you can get a watchmaker to reset the keyless. I wouldn't be too distraught, as you said it's disappointing but that's the way it works with reps, the short stem however have been caught by the dealer at qc stage, and press this issue...in addition to getting the watch repaired or replaced you may get some recompense, such as a discount off a future purchase etc. Best of luck.

Probably a keyless works issue, like kbh said above, possibly caused by pressing a little too hard on the stem release button. Not sure if the issue was there beforehand, as the stem would not have stayed in at any stage if the keyless works were shot. At this stage, it'll probably have to go back, unless you can get a watchmaker to reset the keyless. I wouldn't be too distraught, as you said it's disappointing but that's the way it works with reps, the short stem however have been caught by the dealer at qc stage, and press this issue...in addition to getting the watch repaired or replaced you may get some recompense, such as a discount off a future purchase etc. Best of luck.

Didn't even think of asking for discounts or anything. To be honest, if I just get a working watch back at the end of this I'll be happy, but a discount would be nice!

Ryan, thanks man. I saw your threads and actually thought about trying to tear my watch apart. But I paid a lot of money for a rep with a swiss eta from a trusted seller here, and I thought the thing should at the very least work out of the box. I don't disillusion myself into thinking this will run reliably for years and years, but 5 minutes would be nice. The seller has been very responsive so far, but it still sucks that I wont have the watch I wanted for a while. The thing that really upsets me is that the watch was absolutely beautiful from the outside. I hated having to send it back, but I have to be able to set the time! Unfortunately, this was my first rep purchase, so I'm pretty disappointed. But I keep telling myself it was a fluke.

But thanks for your very well written and thorough tutorials on what you did to fix your watch. I don't doubt that someday I'll be using them to fix one of mine!

No worries vandal, I was in the exact same position as you about a month ago, my first planet ocean turned up faulty, so I Sent it back to china and received my replacement watch about a week-10 days later, then my 2nd one had the keyless works issue like yours more than likely has, really couldn't be arsed to send it back again I just wanted to wear my watch, that's when I bit the bullet and stripped it.pretty good as now I've fitted gen crown n tube to it and have got gen dial and hands on there way to e in the post.all I need now Is a gen bezel and it'll be the part! If you ever need any help buddy give me a shout and I'll be more the happy to try help.cheers

Ry

Haha, yea that picture is deceiving. I'm in the military, so normally I'm very clean cut. But I went on leave for a month and grew out my goatee. Then after a night of drinking, I took a photo of myself in the mirror. The next day I ran the photo through some photo editing software, and bam...I look like a serial killer convict. And of course, that's my new avatar.

Well I guess it's cool it's you. It would be bad if you idolized a serial killer.

It also looks a little like steve lukather, I went back and forth several days before coming to a conclusion and posting. I actually started a new board called the darkside of RWG to discuss the issue, KB already has 2400 posts

No worries vandal, I was in the exact same position as you about a month ago, my first planet ocean turned up faulty, so I Sent it back to china and received my replacement watch about a week-10 days later, then my 2nd one had the keyless works issue like yours more than likely has, really couldn't be arsed to send it back again I just wanted to wear my watch, that's when I bit the bullet and stripped it.pretty good as now I've fitted gen crown n tube to it and have got gen dial and hands on there way to e in the post.all I need now Is a gen bezel and it'll be the part! If you ever need any help buddy give me a shout and I'll be more the happy to try help.cheers

Ry

Actually, I saw you mentioned you bought a pretty sweet tool kit. Where did you get it and what does it have? I just ordered this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230662280712

It seems pretty basic, but with a few additions it may do the job. I'm planning on replacing the crown and tube when my watch gets back as well. I've heard it was cheap and easy. I'll have to get back with you for more info on that when I get my watch back.

Thanks!

Most tools sold on eBay will be soft metal and wear out quickly. Be careful when you use them.

If you go to the Watchbitz store here on this board, they sell an excellent toolkit with hardened steel tools for an excellent price. Even lower pricing of you identify yourself as an RWG member.

Actually, I saw you mentioned you bought a pretty sweet tool kit. Where did you get it and what does it have? I just ordered this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230662280712

It seems pretty basic, but with a few additions it may do the job. I'm planning on replacing the crown and tube when my watch gets back as well. I've heard it was cheap and easy. I'll have to get back with you for more info on that when I get my watch back.

Thanks!

Yeah no worries mate it wasn't to hard a job just a bit tricky when bonding the new tube into the case, but deffinatly worth doing.

Give me a shout buddy when your readying or need any help.the tool kit I got was on here from watch bits. Really good quality tools.here's the link.

It ony took about a week for it to arrive to from Australia I think.im in uk. Your tools look ok but as jk said be carefully if they're soft metal, but you'll know if they do the trick. Good luck mate this s where it all starts.

Yeah no worries mate it wasn't to hard a job just a bit tricky when bonding the new tube into the case, but deffinatly worth doing.

Give me a shout buddy when your readying or need any help.the tool kit I got was on here from watch bits. Really good quality tools.here's the link. http://www.rwg.cc/to...ality-tool-kit/

It ony took about a week for it to arrive to from Australia I think.im in uk. Your tools look ok but as jk said be carefully if they're soft metal, but you'll know if they do the trick. Good luck mate this s where it all starts.

Thanks so much...I wish I would have asked about the tools before I ordered that other set. I will probably order this one and put the other one back on eBay.

I'll definitely get back with you once my watch gets back. Thanks a ton!

Thanks so much...I wish I would have asked about the tools before I ordered that other set. I will probably order this one and put the other one back on eBay.

I'll definitely get back with you once my watch gets back. Thanks a ton!

No worries bud, at least the tool kit wasn't expensive. Catcha soon mate :)